[Rarebooks] FS: Superb Louis Armstrong ALS: What a Wonderful World

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Thu Feb 1 15:49:33 EST 2007

ARMSTRONG, Louis AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS) of 5-1/2 pages
Corona, NY 17 April 1965 Fine 5-1/2 page letter on both sides of three
7-1/4" x 10-1/2" sheets of blue Satchmo letterhead with a SIGNATURE
almost six inches long! The most famous jazz musician of the 20th
century writes to a Mr. Kauffmann as he recuperates from an Eastern
European tour. In part, "Here I am sitting in my home in Corona on
Easter Sunday night all by myself writing this letter to you while my
wife Lucille has a good sleep. The reason we are so tired is because we
have just returned from our tour behind the Iron Curtain, which we both
enjoyed very, very much. We did a broadcast in Frankfort [sic], Germany
not long ago." He offers emotional support to his recently widowed
friend. "I always feel very sad when you mention your dear wife. The way
you feel about Hilde - she felt the same way about you. True love. So as
I've always said, when two people love each other like you & Hilde did
you must feel contented. Never worry - never grieve! even if you should
marry again. Stay happy. I preach those same words to Lucille lots of
times during our life together. I have so much from the life she & I
have already live [sic] together until I don't want no misery from [for]
which ever one of us should leave this earth last." Armstrong also
requests Kauffmann to send him a new batch of lip salve whenever he has
it. SIGNED as Louis Armstrong and Satchmo. A remarkable letter from a
charismatic, innovative performer whose musical skills and bright
personality transformed Jazz from a rough regional dance music into a
popular art form. Light creases from mailing. Near Fine  $5000.00
--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $8.00 for the first book, $4.00 each

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent