[Rarebooks] FS: William Bundy's copy of THE PENTAGON PAPERS with annotations and notes

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Mon Jul 2 13:07:52 EDT 2007

DEPARTMENT OF DEFENSE THE PENTAGON PAPERS. 5 volumes. William Bundy's
copy with annotations and two pages of notes.
Beacon Press Boston (1971-1972) First Edition. Five octavo (5-3/4" x 9")
volumes in green printed wraps (the last in orange) of the Senator
Gravel Edition of the official publication of the declassified volumes
of the Department of Defense's 1968 study. This edition without
illustrations. William Bundy's copy with his scattered annotations,
marginal notes, and two legal-sized sheets of paper with handwritten
notes arranged chronologically. Bundy was appointed Assistant Secretary
of State for Far Eastern Affairs in March 1964. His brother McGeorge was
Special Assistant for National Security Affairs to Kennedy and Johnson
from 1961-1966. Both are considered primary architects of America's
involvement in Vietnam. In THE BEST AND THE BRIGHTEST, David Halberstam
stated that during the Kennedy and Johnson administrations, William
Bundy's name "would probably be on more pieces of paper dealing with
Vietnam over a seven-year period than anyone else's." The publication of
these volumes represented something of a personal defeat for Bundy who
at the time had an1100-page unfinished manuscript in which he
selectively paraphrased from classifed papers in his possession and
which was rendered unpublishable by the appearance of this work. The
final volume, a review copy, is an index and collection of critical
essays. Senator Gravel in the introduction: "We were told that we had to
fight on the continent of Asia so that we would not have to battle on
the shores of America. One can accept these arguments only if he has
failed to read the Pentagon Papers." Where have all the flowers gone....

Very Good with some wear to covers.     $2500.00
--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $25.00.  Overseas postage billed at

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent