[Rarebooks] FS: In Memory of Chris Stern: "You Told Me Once You Only Printed in Natural Light" Broadside

Wessel & Lieberman Booksellers claudia at wlbooks.com
Fri Jul 13 15:55:03 EDT 2007

Crosetto, Maralyn. You Told Me Once You Only Printed in Natural Light.
Seattle, WA: Day Moon Press, 2007. Limited Edition. One of 70 copies. Single
sheet measuring 10 1/2 x 15". Illustration by Maralyn Crosetto measuring 6
3/4 x 4 1/4". Text by Mare Blocker. Printed by Maura Shapley and Maralyn
Crosetto at the Day Moon Press on Rives Grey paper. In Fine Condition. //
Printed in memory of Chris Stern. Image available upon request (40629)
$75.00

Maralyn Crosetto, Day Moon Press, and Mare Blocker have combined to produce
a new limited edition broadside. It is being sold as a fund-raiser to help
with the medical bills for the late Chris Stern.  Chris Stern was a
nationally-known fine press printer and teacher.  He passed away last
November. The image on the broadside depicts Chris and Jules' printing shop
in the Skagit Valley of Washington, The Printing Farm.

Chris was a dear friend.  We are honored to have copies of this wonderful
broadside and to help with sales and distribution.  The price of the
broadside is $75. (A larger donation is, of course, welcome.)

Checks are preferred, due to the nature of this fund-raiser. The broadside
can be viewed at our website:
http://www.wlbooks.com/cgi-bin/wlb455.cgi/40629.html

-----------------------------

Maralyn Crosetto:

"I have some wonderful memories of sitting with Chris Stern on one porch or
another, drinking coffee, eating his famous scones and talking about books,
or printing or anything else in the world.  Most of my memories, however,
are of Chris at work.  At work is where I could find him.  Whether it was
noon or midnight, that is where he would be.

The inspiration for this broadside comes from those many, many nights when
Chris would be out in his and Jules' shop, working his magic with type, ink
and paper.  When I told Mare Blocker of my vision of the Printing Farm,
glowing in the dark, she most graciously wrote the poem to accompany it."

Maura Shapley, Day Moon Press:

"When Maralyn approached me with the idea of printing this piece, she hadn't
started drawing yet. We decided early on certain practical matters: first,
her comfortable image size and style determined which presses to use; then,
parent sheet size led to finished size; proportions narrowed down type
choices.

After scanning her pencil drawing, Jack used filters to translate it into a
mezzotint-like image. A magnesium engraving was then made (locally, at
Evergreen Engravers).  Maralyn then cut the linoleum blocks for blue-grey
and yellow, registering to the black proof.  In one week, we had all three
main presses tied up at once - the large Vandercook on black, the SP-15 on
grey, and the 12 x 18 C&P on yellow - then again for both type passes -
while Maralyn set type and remixed inks for the color balance, and I tweaked
fit.

Maralyn and I have worked together on letterpress projects of all kinds for
nearly thirty years, and somehow this was the smoothest and most satisfying
of all."

Jules Remedios Faye:

"When I learned that Maralyn Crosetto, Maura Shapley and Mare Blocker were
collaboratively creating a broadside in Chris' memory, I was deeply touched.
But when I visited Maura's shop to see this broadside for the first time,
the tenderness of the image and the heartfelt words of the poem broke my
heart open.  The love and genuine affection this collaboration represents is
deeply healing and inspiring.

After the hospital gave us a generous 80% charity deduction on the bills we
incurred while Chris was in hospital, I am left with close to $30,000 in
medical bills.  100% of the sales of this loving tribute to Chris will go
toward paying those bills.  This broadside is limited to 70 copies.  The
first 65 people who send $75 or more will receive one of these beautiful
broadsides, which were lovingly letterpress printed by Maura and Maralyn and
include an original image by Maralyn, accompanied with a poem by Mare."

Wessel & Lieberman Booksellers is a full service bookshop located in the
historic Pioneer Square district of Seattle.  Shop hours are Monday thru
Saturday, 11-6.  To place an order or inquire about this item, contact
information is below.  Visit our website at www.wlbooks.com for additional
items or to join our mailing list.

Wessel & Lieberman Booksellers
208 First Avenue South