[Rarebooks] FS: Inscribed by Woodrow Wilson's Chief Adviser to FDR's Mother and by SDR to Elliott Roosevelt

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Thu Mar 1 12:54:37 EST 2007

 From our recent Internet Catalogue posted on our website:
http://www.erols.com/agvent
It contains 39 Signed Presidential Books and Pamphlets including items
by John Quincy Adams, James Buchanan, Grover Cleveland, Teddy Roosevelt,
and more.

Visit us this weekend in Booth 57 (the comfortable, private room in the
corner) at the Washington Antiquarian Book Fair at the Holiday Inn
Rosslyn at Key Bridge, 1900 North Fort Myer Drive in Arlington, VA;
Friday 4:00 pm to 9:30 pm; Saturday 10:00 am to 6:00 pm.

[ROOSEVELT,  Sara  Delano] SEYMOUR, Charles.  AMERICAN  DIPLOMACY
DURING  THE  WORLD  WAR Inscribed by Edward M. House  to  Sara  Delano
Roosevelt.  Baltimore: The Johns Hopkins Press 1934. First  Edition. A
comprehensive  diplomatic  history of the United States from  1914  to
1918.  INSCRIBED  and  SIGNED  by the dedicatee of  the  book,  Edward
Mandell  House,  on  the front endpaper:  "To/Sara  Delano  Roosevelt:
/foremost    mother   of  our   Republic,/with   my   admiration   and
affection./E.  M.  House/1934." Above this the book is  INSCRIBED  and
INITIALLED  by  Roosevelt: "for my grandson Elliott/from SDR--."  Sara
Delano  Roosevelt,  the  dominant mother of only son  Franklin  Delano
Roosevelt,  died  exactly  three months before the  bombing  of  Pearl
Harbor.  Elliott,  the fourth child of Franklin and Eleanor,  played a
key  role  in the D-Day invasion. "Colonel" House, to whom  Karl  Rove
has  been  compared,  was  Woodrow   Wilson's  chief  adviser.  Wilson
referred  to  House as "my alter ego" (my other self), and it  is  not
inaccurate  to  say  that  House, not Wilson, was  the  most  powerful
individual  in  our  country during the Wilson  Administration.  House
played  a major role not only in the United States entering World  War
I  but also in shaping wartime diplomacy. Wilson put him in charge  of
preparing  the  constitution for the League of Nations and of  working
out  an  armistice with the Allies. In 1932 he supported  Franklin  D.
Roosevelt  without  joining his inner circle. House also  authored  the
novel  PHILIP DRU: ADMINISTRATOR (1919) whose title character  becomes
a  sinister  dictator  of America. In 1921, House  founded  the  still
influential  Council  on  Foreign Relations. Very  Good,  lacking  the
dustwrapper.                                                   $750.00
--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $8.00 for the first book, $4.00 each

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent