[Rarebooks] FS: Taste in the Domestic Arts - 1877 Yale Lecture

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Mon Mar 12 09:52:14 EDT 2007

>From our new MARCH CATALOG-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_296.htm>

 - - -

Salisbury, Edward E. "PRINCIPLES OF DOMESTIC TASTE. A LECTURE DELIVERED IN
THE YALE SCHOOL OF THE FINE ARTS, WINTER TERM, 1877"

New Haven; “Sold for the Benefit of the School”: 1877.
“Reprinted from The New Englander for April, 1877.”

Salisbury (1814-1901) was a professor of languages at Yale and a member of
the Art Council of the Yale School of Fine Arts. He champions the
harmonious and pleasant, and warns against overcrowding rooms with
bric-a-brac, importing odd color schemes into American homes no matter how
well the Japanese seem to make them work, mixing styles, or slavishly
copying foreign decorations. He spends a bit of time exploring the
question of what makes American art and taste unique, and seems himself to
have had a weakness for the Neoclassic, which becomes all the more evident
when he finishes with a somewhat disapproving review of Eastlake’s ‘Hints
on Household Taste’.

Uncommon in the marketplace.

Card covers. 6.75”x9.75”, 24 pages; publisher’s printed card covers with a
red cloth spine; covers somewhat soiled, a little wear. A nice,
wide-margined copy. [30764] $150.00

See the entire MARCH CATALOG here-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_296.htm>

 - - -

Our website-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our Latest Catalogs-

MARCH, 2007
 -Selections from our stock
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_296.htm>

BOOKS ON CERAMICS
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_295.htm>

BOOKS ON FURNITURE
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_293.htm>

FOLK ARTS, AMERICANA & CHINA TRADE
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_291.htm>

BOOKS ON AMERICAN SILVER
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_289.htm>

FIRE AND ICE
 -lighting, fireplaces & ice
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_282.htm>

A GRAVE AFFAIR
 -gravestones, epitaphs & mourning
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_288.htm>

 ~ ~ ~

 SPEAKING OF BOOKS
    -Our free email News List

 FOGGYGATES
    - our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

 ~ ~ ~

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.