[Rarebooks] FS: Photograph of Theodore Dreiser Inscribed to his future wife

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Wed Nov 7 14:31:25 EST 2007

 From our latest Internet Catalogue: TWENTIETH CENTURY LITERARY
MANUSCRIPTS, LETTERS, AND PHOTOGRAPHS, a total of 90 items, many quite
scarce.  Our Boston Book Fair Catalogue will be posted next week and
includes fine Signed Presidential and Literary items, Early Printed
Books, and our usual selection of the unusual.

1.  DREISER, Theodore. SIGNED PHOTOGRAPH. A Fine 7" x 9-1/4"  informal
photographic  "head shot" portrait of a seventy-year old Dreiser  with
a  smile bordering on a laugh. INSCRIBED and SIGNED at the bottom with
fine   contrast:  "To  lovely   Helen/with  love  and/admiration-/from
T.D./Hollywood/January--/1942."  Helen Richardson first met Dreiser in
1919  and  married him in 1944. Dreiser left his entire estate to  her
in  his will and, after her death in 1955, she was buried next to him.
In  1942,  however,  Dreiser and Helen were often apart  with  Dreiser
often  romantically  involved  with another woman. Just a  few  months
after  inscribing  this photograph to his future wife, Dreiser had  an
eleven-day  fling  with  one  of his ardent  female  admirers.  Still,
Dreiser's  inscription  captures  the great feeling he had  for  Helen
from  the  beginning. W. A. Swanberg in his biography DREISER sums  up
well  their  relationship: "Although he still threatened at  times  to
leave  her,  Dreiser  needed Helen for survival, Helen  knew  that  he
needed  her,  and he knew that she knew" (p. 478). About  Fine  with a
supberb association.                                          $1500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $9.00 for the first book, $5.00 each
thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania
residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express and
Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for
any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior
notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a
diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century
Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and Limited Editions Club
books.  We are celebrating our 20th year of business and are proud to be
members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and
the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB) as well as
the Manuscript Society and the Universal Autograph Collectors Club
(UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.
Thank you.

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com