[Rarebooks] FS: Lafitau's DE ZEDEN DER WILDEN VAN AMERIKA, 1731, with fine engravings of Native Americans

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Mon Nov 12 10:25:26 EST 2007

One of 72 items that will be in our new Fall catalogue for the Boston
Book Fair to be posted on our web site tomorrow, Tuesday.  Also in the
catalogue will be fine Signed Presidential and Literary items, Early
Printed Books, and our usual selection of the unusual.  We will be
bringing many of them to the book fair.  Please stop by Booth 208 to see us.

LAFITAU,  Joseph-Francois. DE ZEDEN DER WILDEN VAN  AMERIKA.  The
Hague:  Gerard  Vander Poel 1731. First Edition. Two  folio  (7-3/4" x
12")  volumes  bound in one in contemporary full Dutch vellum,  covers
tooled  in blind with large central blocked arabesque, spine in  eight
compartments  with  raised  bands,  early manuscript  titling  to  the
second  compartment. Titles in red and black with engraved  vignettes.
Engraved  frontispiece, 1 map and 41 plates. First Dutch Edition  of a
key  work on Native American peoples. Lafitau was assigned as a Jesuit
missionary  to  Canada from 1711-1718 and was based for much  of  that
period  among the Iroquois at Sault Saint-Louis. His work, written  in
an  attempt  to prove that the native American peoples were  descended
from  Tartar  stock, provides a wealth of information on the  customs,
religious  beliefs  and  social organization of the Iroquois  and  the
other  northern tribes. Field refers to it as "a grand cyclopaedia  of
Indian  history, and the customs at that date." Field 851; Howes  L22;
JCB  (I),  p.472;  Lande  S1194: "This is one of  the  most  beautiful
editions  of Lafitau's works"; Sabin 38598; TPL 159. Some light toning
throughout;  upper  joint  split, covers bowed and soiled.  Very  Good
                                                               $4500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $9.00 for the first book, $5.00 each
thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania
residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express and
Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for
any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior
notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a
diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century
Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and Limited Editions Club
books.  We are celebrating our 20th year of business and are proud to be
members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and
the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB) as well as
the Manuscript Society and the Universal Autograph Collectors Club
(UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.
Thank you.

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com