[Rarebooks] FS- German Masterwerkes- 1883 Two Volumes 3/4 quarter calf

Michelle Levick, Bookmaven bookmaven at comcast.net
Sat Nov 24 13:48:10 EST 2007

For your consideration:

Meisterwerke of German Art, Volumes I & II; Jutsum, Carl Thonet, George
Barrie, Boston, 1883 - I believe this is a First Edition, or First U.S.
Edition

Two elegant folio volumes of German Master Artists; lavishly illustrated
with tipped in engravings, printed on heavy white matting paper. Volume I,
covers the early German Schools Including Dutch and Flemish, referencing the
earliest of frescos to have been executed for Queen Theodolinda in the 6th
century, and the Carlovingians start of Teutonic Art, to the earliest of
Christian art; following through to the styles of the 13th century, and 14th
when styles became purer and more skillful. The principal artists of
'Bohemia" being Nicholas Wurmser, of Strasburg Kunz and Theodoric of Prague.
Through to the Revival period. Both volumes have a running detailed
narrative of the periods their history, artists, influences by the Church
and society, and ruling principals; use of and creation of materials, etc.
Sampling of full page etchings and line engravings, (121 engravings on Wood
& Facsimiles, 51 Etchings and Line engravings tipped-in: Volume I, tipped in
plates:  Death Riding through a Harvest Landscape, Arnold Bucklin, engraver,
Hecht, W.; Goethe's Fifth Roman Elegy, Friederich J.H. Drake, L. Schulz; The
Children's Concert, Anselm Feuerbach, Karl Krautle; Lady With Parrot, Franz
Von Mieris, John Burger; Mary Stuart Listening to the Order of Her
Execution, Carl Theodore von Piloty, Doris Raab; The Hunt, Rudolf F.
Henneberg, Wilhem Krauskopf; Portrait of The Emperor Maximilian I, Albrecht
Durer, V. Jasper; Old Athens From the Garden of Venus, Joseph Hoffman,
Edward Willmann; Portrait of Lady Seymour, Hans Holbein, The Younger; Carl
Edward Buchel; The Jewish Bride, Ryn van Rembrandt, William Unger, and many
others.  Volume II., Covers, begins with the Great Revival period and
development of the national art, which took place in all the capitals of
Germany, in the years between 1810 and 1840; through to the 'Contemporary'
German School of Painting, which was many sided and divided up geographical
as well as aesthetically; from the Adriatic to the Baltic. Ranging from the
genre of miniature sized works, considered to be cheap illustrations to the
immense frescoes of the Ludwigskirche or Palace at Berlin, which extended
from quarto illustration to folios. The narration covers the various
geographical influences, exhibits, and areas stated in Volume II. 91
Engraving on wood and facsimiles; 52 etchings, line engravings & Lichtdruck
(photo-mechanical planographic printing to the rendition of half-tones
without rasters as well as in the photography a photolithographic procedure,
which was developed 1856 by Adolphe Louis Poitevin under the designation
Collotypie): A sampling of works: The Flamingo Hunters, Johann, Canon,
engraved by Johann Karl; Venetian Taylor Shop, Eugene B. Blaas, William
Unger; The Monk, Franz Lenbach, W. Hecht; Haspinger, Alois Gabl, Carl
Rauscher; The Empress of Austria, Emil Adam, (Lichtdruck);  In The Gallery,
Adolph Mesel, Johann Klaus; Bismarck or Moltke?, Gustav Karl Hellquist, J.
Holzapf'l; A Wolf In The Thicket, Otto von Thoren, William Unger; Japanese
Lady, Bruno E. U. Piglhein, (Lichtdruck); Goose Market in Cracow, Alois
Schonn, William Unger; Marietta Da Napoli, Hans Meyer, (Original Etching);
The Peasant and Broker, Benjamin Vautier, Johann J. Burger. Over 370 artists
mentioned or represented in both volumes.

Three quarter calf, over brown pebbled cloth boards. Rubbed to extremities,
front joints to both volumes repaired, volume I front cloth wrinkled, rear
cloth wrinkled torn & bunched at leather edge. Few pale white marks to lower
front board. Five bands to spine, bright gilt title and volume number. Pages
57- 59 Vol. I., have very pale spotting, not plate pages, Vol. II: 1 inch
closed tear to lower edge of one tissue guard, and slight chip to lower edge
of Mother Love tissue guard. Last 20 pages have toning effect stain to lower
corner, not water. Marbled end papers, 1/4 inch chip to e.p. upper edge
volume II. Small p.o. dcorative ex-libris plates to paste down, both
volumes. All edges bright gilt. Volumes are very tightly bound, pages except
where noted, clean and bright. These books are extremely heavy, please
inquire about post.  A magnificent and scarce compendium of  German, Flemish
and Dutch artists, complete with a synopsis of their works and influence.
Folio, 144, 134 pp.   $950.00 plus post.

http://www.abookmaven.net/ebayimages/meisterwerkeArtbrd

http://www.abookmaven.net/ebayimages/meisterwerkeimage1

http://www.abookmaven.net/ebayimages/meisterwerkeimage3

http://www.abookmaven.net/ebayimages/meisterwerkeimage5