[Rarebooks] FS: Rare 1st ed. of the "first American novel" Boston: 1789

Karmbooks at aol.com Karmbooks at aol.com
Fri Sep 28 12:44:42 EDT 2007

[Brown, William Hill]. THE POWER OF SYMPATHY: OR, THE TRIUMPH OF NATURE
FOUNDED IN TRUTH. In Two Volumes. Boston: Isaiah Thomas and Company. 1789. First
edition. 2 vols. 138;158pp. Copper engraved frontispiece by Samuel Hill. Woodcut
printer’s initials on title-pages. Cont. sheep, worn & rubbed, nicely
rebacked in brown calf, gilt. Housed in a custom made 1/2 brown morocco clamshell box
with red morocco spine label. Frontispiece with a few minor repairs at blank
fore-edge. Title of Vol. I with offset browning from frontis. Text of both
vols. foxed throughout (as usual).     $8,500.00 (trade discount allowed)
Rare first edition of the so-called “first American novel.” A fictional
account of Frances Theodora Apthorp, sister of Sarah Wentworth Morton, to whom the
work has often been attributed. Evans 21979. Wright I. 432.

Kenneth Karmiole, Bookseller, Inc.
P.O. Box 464
Santa Monica, CA 90406
Tel. (310) 451-4342; Fax. (310) 458-5930
Email: karmbooks at aol.com