[Rarebooks] FS: Christmas Card from Beatrix Potter

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Sun Dec 14 11:34:00 EST 2008

POTTER, Beatrix. CHRISTMAS CARD INSCRIBED AND SIGNED. n.d [@1942].
A  small (3-1/2" x 4-3/4") Christmas card in the form of a string-tied
chapbook  of stiff covers with a color illustration on the front  (not
by  Potter)  and two leaves inside with printing on the recto  of  one
leaf  containing  Christmas  Greetings with a quote by  Leith  Gordon.
Beneath  that in Beatrix Potter's hand SIGNED by her with her  married
name  is the following: "W & Beatrix Heelis/It is pleasant to think of
friends/in  a  sad time - we are well, but/old & tired-."  Though  the
name  of  the recipient is not written by Potter, this was  part  of a
lot  of  three cards from the estate of Bertha Mahony Miller,  founder
of  HORN  BOOK MAGAZINE and an important figure in the fight  for  the
idea  that  children's books should be taken more seriously.  She  was
also  a  close friend of Beatrix Potter and a champion of  her  books.
Near Fine                                                     $3500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $9.00 for the first book, $5.00 each

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent