[Rarebooks] For Sale: Smith's "Priestley in America," with letter

Norman Kane nkane at kanebooks.com
Sat Feb 9 18:12:52 EST 2008

  SMITH, EDGAR F[AHS].  PRIESTLEY IN AMERICA 1794 -
1804.  Philadelphia:Blakiston's Son & Co., (1920).  Original cloth
lettered in gilt, 7 X 4 1/2 inches, [6], 173 pages, a very good
copy.  Inserted is a typed letter signed from Penn Provost Smith to
Wharton Barker, June 30th,1920.  This was only a few days after the
infamous Scott Nearing dismissal by the Penn trustees; Barker was one
of only 2 trustees who had stood by Nearing to the end. 20 years
before he had been the Populist Party candidate for President.  The
letter reads in part: "In a few hours my connection with the
University of Pennsylvania will terminate . . . To me everything
pertaining to our University is very dear . . . I hope to find
pleasure and satisfaction in the research which I have already begun
in the little laboratory so graciously assigned to me by the
Board."  Accompanied by a copy of a letter from Barker concerning the
University.  Smith's
card is tipped in. (Smith, a chemist, did valuable work in the field
of atomic weights, in the uses of tungsten, &c - see DAB.)
$85.00    (Trade Discount Available)

THE AMERICANIST (ABAA),
113 Creeks Edge, Chapel Hill, NC USA 27516-8962
Telephone: 919-967-9287 email: nkane at kanebooks.com.
Proprietor: Norman Kane (50 years as an antiquarian bookseller.)