[Rarebooks] FS: 1900 Ltd. Ed. on Egyptian Ceramics by Henry Wallis

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Thu Jan 10 10:01:29 EST 2008

Wallis, Henry.  "EGYPTIAN CERAMIC ART. Typical Examples of the Art of the
Egyptian Potter Portrayed in Colour Plates with text illustrations drawn
and described by Henry Wallis"

Privately printed: 1900. Edition limited to 200 copies.

An overview of ancient Egyptian ceramics, with examples drawn in many
instances from private collections. Wallis' text, as usual, is more
notable for its enthusiasm and love of his subject than for its strictly
technical correctness, especially in view of a hundred years worth of
subsequent research. But he did have an elegant way of presenting his
books; the color plates in this volume are spectacular and the overall
feel of the typography, illustrations and format is elegant and pleasing.
After reading his text you'll be enthusiastic about Egyptian ceramics,
even if you weren't before.

Hardcover. 9.5"x12", xix + 37 pages, 45 b/w text illustrations, plus 12
chromolithographed plates. Original coarse cloth with a green linen spine,
gilt lettering. Covers a little soiled, endpapers darkened, a little
scattered internal foxing here and there.  [08760]  $475.00

 - -

Our website-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our Latest Catalogs-

DECEMBER, 2007 -Recent Acquisitions
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_309.htm>

FOLK ARTS & AMERICANA
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_302.htm>

BOOKS ON GLASS
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_299.htm>

BOOKS ON CERAMICS
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_295.htm>

BOOKS ON FURNITURE
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_306.htm>

BOOKS ON SILVER
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_308.htm>

FIRE AND ICE
 -lighting, fireplaces & ice
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_282.htm>

A GRAVE AFFAIR
 -gravestones, epitaphs & mourning
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_288.htm>

 ~ ~ ~

 SPEAKING OF BOOKS
    -Our free email News List

 FOGGYGATES
    - our Bookselling blog
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

 ~ ~ ~

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.