[Rarebooks] FS: Campana on Roman terracotta reliefs

Clare Murphy payson at oldbooks.com
Thu Jan 17 13:17:22 EST 2008

CAMPANA, GIOVANNI. PIETRO, 1808-80.  ANTICHE OPERE IN PLASTICA.
Rome., 1851, 2. Illustrated by 120 plates tinted, plus a large tinted
vignette on title page. Second edition. 2 volumes. Vellum. Folio.
Complete in this large book which contains both volumes. In the first
half of the 19th century the Marquess G.P. Campana formed a large
collection of Roman terracotta reliefs, and the type is still known
by his name as 'Campana reliefs'. His collection was sold in 1861 and
was dispersed, mostly to the Louvre, but also to the Hermitage and
other museums. Campana was the first to discuss this type of relief
in print. In 1842 he published Antiche Opere in Plastica, a work
typical of the first half of the 19th century which devotes itself
for the most part to mythological or antiquarian explanations of the
scenes on the plaques. Campana was exiled and stripped of all his
possessions for defrauding the government of money which he used to
build his collections. The vellum is peeling from the boards with
some loss. Contents complete and very good but for some soiling. Very
scarce book.  $2600.00

Discount to the trade.

--

Clare Murphy
Payson Hall Books

(617) 924-8484

payson at oldbooks.com

http://www.oldbooks.com

7 day return with notice, if not as described. 5 day hold. We accept
Paypal, money orders, cashier checks. We accept personal checks from
bookdealers and known customers.