[Rarebooks] FS: Important philosophical/alchemical text by Robert Fludd. ...Frankfurt: 1617-24

Karmbooks at aol.com Karmbooks at aol.com
Thu Jun 26 16:21:05 EDT 2008

Fludd, Robert. UTRIUSQUE COSMI MAIORIS SCILICET ET MINORIS METAPHYSICA,
PHYSICA ATQUE TECHNICA HISTORIA. IN DUE VOLUMINA SECUNDAM COSMI DIFFERENTIAM
DIVISA... Oppenheim and Frankfurt: Johann Theodor de Bry and Hieronymus Galler [Vol.
I]. 1617 – and Johann Theodor De Bry and Caspar Rotel [Vol. II]. 1624. Folio.
2 volumes in 1. First edition of Volume I; second edition of Volume II.
(2),206(printed “106”),(10);788,(10)pp. Index in each volume. Lacking the final
blank leaf in Volume II. Both volumes with engraved titles and with numerous
section titles to the various parts. Our title page to Volume II is in a variant
state (without the top engraved border as is illustrated in ALCHEMY & THE
OCCULT). Text of both volumes profusely illustrated with copper and wood engraved
plates and diagrams, many full-page. There are two folding plates and 1
double-page plate (“Integra Naturae...”) in Volume I (both part of the collation
(pagination). Volume II with 5 added plates, 4 of which are folding. Cont.
vellum, soiled. Some old faded water stains in portions of the text, and occasional
text light browning, but overall a very decent, complete copy in its original
binding.     $15,000.00 (trade discount allowed)
Important early philosophical text by Fludd (1574-1637) the English
rosicrucian and metaphysician; it is an account of the macrocosm and the microcosm,
illustrated with mystical plates representing relationships between man and the
cosmos, and the godhead. The second volume was to contain three treatises, but
was never completed. It ends with the first section of the second treatise.
See Thorndike, HISTORY OF MAGIC & EXPERIMENTAL SCIENCE, Volume VII; Duveen,
Alchemica et Chemica 222; Gardner, BIBLIO. ROSICRUCIANA 217 & 218; Macphail,
ALCHEMY & THE OCCULT 74 & 83 (with full collations).

Kenneth Karmiole, Bookseller, Inc.
P.O. Box 464
Santa Monica, CA 90406
Tel. (310) 451-4342; Fax. (310) 458-5930
Email: karmbooks at aol.com