[Rarebooks] FOR SALE: ROBERT McALMON, PORTRAIT OF A GENERATION

Norman Kane nkane at kanebooks.com
Wed May 21 15:32:23 EDT 2008

McALMON, ROBERT.   THE PORTRAIT OF A GENERATION :-   Paris: Contact Editions; Three Mountains Press, (Dijon, Printed by Maurice Darantiere, 1926.)  First Edition, 1 of 200 copies only.  MOUNTED PHOTO on end paper of a bust of McAlmon.  Green boards with vellum spine and half-inch vellum strip at fore-edges, just slightly soiled.  Full paper title-label on spine.  It has been noted that McAlmon "provided the most candid published American gay male writing of the 1920's . . .[He] dealt with homosexuality in much of his work . . . for example . . . 'Explorations' (1921) & 'The Portrait of a Generation' (1926)."  (Poetry of disillusion and disgust.  "'Not in Europe or America are we at home' / he said in a wistful manner, /  'We, that ostracized portion / of degenerate mankind / which lives on the continent / criticizing our home countries.' ")  SCARCE.  $750.00
(Trade Discount Available)

THE AMERICANIST (ABAA),
113 Creeks Edge, Chapel Hill, NC USA 27516-8962
Telephone: 919-967-9287 email: nkane at kanebooks.com.
Proprietor: Norman Kane (50 years as an antiquarian bookseller.)