[Rarebooks] FS: Letter from Henry Ford to the Vice President of the U.S. requesting a pardon

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Tue Sep 16 10:48:36 EDT 2008

  FORD,  Henry. TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS) to the Vice  President  of
the  United  States  asking  for a pardon for one  of  his  employees.
Detroit:  11  Feb.  1915. A fine two-page TYPED LETTER SIGNED  to  the
Honorable  John  R. Marshall, Vice President of the United States,  on
Ford's  personal  letterhead  regarding an employee  whose  vindictive
wife    and  mother-in-law  keep  having   him  arrested  for   parole
violations.  Ford begins by pointing out to Marshall, whose first name
was  actually  Thomas, that he met the young man when he was  governor
of  Indiana.  Marshall,  incidentally, coined the saying:  "What  this
country  needs is a good five-cent cigar." He comments on his  quality
of  character: "He has risen rapidly in our organization and we  think
a  great deal of him.... I ask you, who have known the boy, to  kindly
look  into  the case, believing with all my heart that  he  represents
the  kind of manhood that is a credit to our state and our nation, and
I  believe him fully entitled to a complete and absolute  pardon.... I
am  not  taking  this matter up with you in any perfunctory  way,  - I
know   this  young  man  personally,   and  his  case  represents   an
opportunity  for  doing constructive good to manhood which, I  believe
you  will  agree  with  me,  is one of the  best  and  most  genuinely
satisfactory  things we can accomplish in life." Ford adds this  typed
P.S.  after  his  SIGNATURE: "I am sorry to trouble you  about  such a
matter,  when affairs of state demand so much of your time, but having
met  you  and  appreciating your sense of and desire for  justice  for
brother  men, I feel privileged to call this to your attention."  Dark
pencil  notation upper left margin. Wrinkling to each page but still a
fine  presentation.  Normal creases from folding. Very Good with  fine
content.                                                      $4500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $9.00 for the first book, $5.00 each

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent