[Rarebooks] FS - Volumina Legum

GREENFIELD BOOKS mail at greenfieldbooks.com
Wed Apr 8 16:25:44 EDT 2009

*KONARSKI, Stanislas et al. /VOLUMINA LEGUM/*. "Volumina Legum" is a
comprehensive collection of the laws and statutes of Poland as enacted
or promulgated between 1347 and 1791. It was initiated by the Polish
religious scholar and educational reformer Stanislaus Konarski
(1700-1773) in 1732 and ultimately appeared in nine volumes. The first
six volumes were published in Warsaw between 1732 and 1739, and
contained all the laws enacted to 1736. Konarski edited the first two
volumes, and created a plan of publication for the next four volumes.
The seventh and eighth volumes were published in 1782, and the ninth
volume was published in Krakow (or Cracow, if you prefer) in 1889.

Our set is a nine-volume facsimile edition, bound in modern grey
linen-like cloth with printed paper labels to the front boards. The set
was published in Warsaw in 1980. It is a limited printing of
(apparently) a reprint edition published in Petersburg, Russia (by J.
Ohryzka), on or after 1860. The text throughout is in Polish. In
addition, included are also two similarly-bound (but slimmer) volumes,
both published in Petersburg in 1859 and 1860, (and reprinted in Warsaw
in 1980). The text of volume 1 is in Latin and appears to be more
ecclesiastical in nature than the other volumes and covers the period
1347 to 1547. Volume 2 is in Polish and appears to be a reference volume
of terms, titles and names. All volumes are in excellent condition,
showing only a bit of bumping to the spine ends and a trace of light
shelf wear and soiling.

A scarce item, in any format, WorldCat showing only a few institutional
holdings of single volumes. We offer all eleven volumes as a set.

Price: $500.00.

Terms of sale - the price is in US funds. Packing and postage charged at
our cost (about $20 for US; $30 for Canada; overseas we will quote).
Payment by check or credit card. Known institutions may be billed.
Returnable (only with prior notice) within seven days of receipt, if not
as described.

Greenfield Books Ltd.
Rare books sought, bought and sold
Member: ABAC/ILAB