[Rarebooks] FS: Carl Jacobi TLS to Clark Ashton Smith

Michael John Thompson mjt at mjtbooks.com
Wed Apr 22 20:06:36 EDT 2009

One of the interesting items still available in our half-price sale,
which is ENDING FRIDAY.

JACOBI, Carl. SMITH, Clark Ashton., TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS) TO
CLARK ASHTON SMITH., TYPED LETTER SIGNED (TLS) TO CLARK ASHTON SMITH.
Dated 1 May, 1936, one page, signed "Jacobi". On Jacobi's pictorial
letterhead depicting a sorcerer in his lair. Addressed "Dear Friend
Smith", Jacobi thanks him for supplying the name of a lawyer to
collect funds owed him by Hugo Gernsback. Jacobi discusses his tale
"The Face in the Mirror" in the current issue of Weird Tales magazine
(the tale appeared in the April, 1936 issue) and how Farnsworth
Wright seems hesitant to buy more stories f r o m him. He goes on to
discuss other markets for his stories, including Macleans magazine
and The Toronto Star; Leo Margulies' new editorship of Wonder
Stories, and relocating his workshop on Lake Minnewashta... "I'm
using kerosine lamps not yet ha vi ng the place wired... I plan to go
out there one or two days each week when I feel I need seclusion".
With the original mailing envelope (torn, postage missing) postmarked
May 4, 1936, addressed "Mr. Clark Ashton Smith, Auburn, California",
w ith Ja cob i's home address in his hand on the rear cover. The
letter is folded for mailing, is slightly browned and has a few minor
stains but is in very good condition. Original envelope included,
postmarked Minneapolis, May 4, 1936, addressed "M r. C lark Ash ton
Smith, Auburn, California", return address in Jacobi's hand on the
rear (end torn, postage removed). An excellent letter with great
content and visual appeal from one important Weird Tales author to
another. $375.00  = Net $175.00 USD

Available at our website - over 700 books offered at a 50% discount

All books in these catalogues have been discounted:

Arkham House & Lovecraft Circle
Ash-Tree Press & Midnight House
Detective Fiction & Mysteries
Fantasy & Science Fiction Paperbacks
Fantasy and Science Fiction
Mythology, Sagas, Folklore and Fairy Tales
Occult Studies

Sale applies to these catalogues only. These lists may be accessed by
clicking through on our website

http://www.mjtbooks.com

Catalogues can be browsed on mjtbooks.com, or there are through links
to the same catalogues on our more user-friendly website,
thompsonrarebooks.com, which offers browseable lists with images of
quite a lot of the books, as well as a shopping cart and secure server.

The coupon SALE can be used upon checkout to activate the 50%
discount. If you whine I'll charge half price in Canadian, rather
than US funds.

Thanks for looking...

Michael

---