[Rarebooks] FS: G. B. Shaw's MISALLIANCE Inscribed to George Sylvester Viereck

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Fri Dec 4 13:08:06 EST 2009

One of MANY fine GEORGE BERNARD SHAW items in our inventory which can be
seen at http://www.charlesagvent.com

SHAW, George Bernard. MISALLIANCE, THE DARK LADY OF THE SONNETS, AND
FANNY'S FIRST PLAY. WITH A TREATISE ON PARENTS AND CHILDREN. London:
Constable and Company Ltd., 1914. First Edition. Original green cloth.
Laurence A128a. All three plays had previously appeared in German
translation. INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the author on the half title page
"To George Sylvester Viereck/from George Bernard Shaw./London./30th May
1914." Viereck was a very popular poet between 1907 and 1912, about the
same time that he became increasingly involved in German- American
social and political movements. Though his propaganda efforts for
Germany during the first World War occasionally got him into hot water,
he did not get into any serious trouble. His expulsion from the Poetry
Society of America in 1919 resulted in a letter of protest from Shaw
that was published in THE NEW REPUBLIC. Viereck interviewed Shaw several
times in the succeeding years. He befriended not only Shaw but also
Einstein and Freud, claiming to have been granted the first interview to
explain psychoanalysis to the public. In the 1930s, however, Viereck
became an American propagandist for Nazi Germany and ultimately spent
time in prison for his part in their cause. Some chipping to the head of
the spine. Still Near Fine.                       $1,000.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each

info at charlesagvent.com