[Rarebooks] FS: Hand-bound by a woman bookbinder in 1900

Michael John Thompson mjt at mjtbooks.com
Sat Jan 3 16:19:19 EST 2009

Offering:

[Women Bookbinders] HOWELLS, William D. VENETIAN LIFE. Edinburgh:
David Douglas, Castle Street. 1883. "Author's Edition". Two volumes
bound in one. 263 + 284 pp, Index. Bound with both title pages
intact. 16mo., bound in contemporary full red morocco stamped in gilt
and blind on front panel, titled in gilt on spine, bordered in gilt
on rear cover, inner dentilles, marbled endpapers; the binding signed
"HMB" on the upper front endpaper, along with the binder's signature
"H. Bentley. March. 1900" on front free endpaper. An amateur but
accomplished binding, the spine lettering is a bit askew, but the
overall effect is very pleasing. We have never found out any
information about the binder; all that we can relate is that we
purchased several books bound by her from her descendants at a far
distant date; this one has recently re-surfaced. Small scuffs; a very
good copy.

$55.00 US net postpaid.

http://www.mjtbooks.com/images/books/howells.jpg

---