[Rarebooks] FS: Teddy Roosevelt's THE WINNING OF THE WEST, 6 volumes with 5 volumes SIGNED by Roosevelt

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Thu Jan 15 09:31:59 EST 2009

ROOSEVELT,  Theodore. THE WINNING OF THE WEST. New  York:  Current
Literature  Pub.  Co.  1905. Reprint. Six small (16mo:  4-1/4"  x  7")
volumes  in half red morocco with matching corners, five raised bands,
gilt-lettered  and  decorated spine, top edge gilt.  Illustrated  with
frontispiece  portraits  and  views.  FIVE  of  the  six  volumes  are
INSCRIBED  and SIGNED by the author. The first volume, the only volume
with  the  recipient's name, is INSCRIBED to Sidney Gould  and  SIGNED
and  dated 10 January 1916. The second volume is INSCRIBED on the same
date  "with  the  good  wishes of" and SIGNED.  The  third  volume  is
INSCRIBED  "Good luck/Theodore Roosevelt/Jan. 1916." The fourth volume
is  INSCRIBED  "with the best wishes/of/Theodore Roosevelt."  Finally,
the    sixth  volume  is  INSCRIBED   "A  happy   new   year!/Theodore
Roosevelt/Jan.  1916."  THE  WINNING  OF   THE  WEST  was  Roosevelt's
literary masterpiece. After completing it, Roosevelt wondered whether,
"I  have  or  have not properly expressed all the ideas  that  seethed
vaguely  in  my  soul  as  I wrote it" (Edmund  Morris,  THE  RISE  OF
THEODORE  ROOSEVELT,  page  397). The book was  immensely  successful,
with  the  first edition disappearing in little more than  a  month. A
pencil  note by the owner in the first volume indicates that the books
were  purchased on the day of Roosevelt's death: 6 January 1919.  Very
Good or better, and a quite exceptional set.                $18,500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $25.00.  Overseas postage billed at

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent