[Rarebooks] FS: Robert Frost Letter and Manuscript Fragment of BIRCHES

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Thu Jul 23 17:51:19 EDT 2009

 From our recently posted internet catalog of 118 Robert Frost items
including approximately 75 SIGNED items of which approximately 20
contain lines of poetry, in some cases complete stanzas or poems, in the
hand of Frost.

FROST, Robert. NORTH OF BOSTON with an AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED and
a  14-line MANUSCRIPT FRAGMENT OF "BIRCHES" by Frost. New York:  Henry
Holt  1915.  Third  Edition. Tipped to the front pastedown is  an  @50
word  AUTOGRAPH  LETTER  dated  12 May  1923  from  South  Shaftsbury,
Vermont,  SIGNED  by  the author, mentioning this book and  how  Frost
would  be happy to sign it if it is sent to his Ann Arbor address.  On
the  first  blank  is a fourteen-line HOLOGRAPH  FRAGMENT  of  Frost's
famous  poem "Birches," also SIGNED by the author with the  dedication
beneath  his signature "To Maurice Frink," the same person to whom the
letter  is  addressed. The fragment is the heart of the 59-line  poem,
first  published in 1916 in MOUNTAIN INTERVAL, the book that  followed
NORTH  OF  BOSTON.  It  begins: "So was I once  myself  a  swinger  of
birches"  and concludes "I'd like to go by climbing a birch tree."  An
absolutely  superb example of a holograph poem by Frost in a book, one
of  the best that we have encountered. The front free endpaper,  which
has   Frink's  1915  markings  along   with  a  much  later  Christmas
presentation  in  another hand, is detached and laid in, which  allows
the  book,  when  opened,  to have the letter facing  the  poem.  Gilt
bright,  very minor rubbing to spine tips. The scarce dustwrapper  has
the  correct  spelling of "faint" on the front. Some mild chipping  to
the  head  of  the  spine  just affecting "North"  in  the  title  and
slightly  extending  to  both  panels.  Near   Fine  in  a  Very  Good
dustwrapper.                                                $25,000.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $10.00 for the first book, $5.00 each

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
info at charlesagvent.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.charlesagvent.com