[Rarebooks] FS: Scarce Signed Presidential book: William McKinley: 1880 Republican National Convention

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Fri May 22 10:23:28 EDT 2009

One of 65 fine items from our Spring Catalog recently posted on our
website: http://www.erols.com/agvent

[McKINLEY,  William]  [DAVIS, Eugene]. [1880  PROCEEDINGS  OF  THE
REPUBLICAN  NATIONAL  CONVENTION,  HELD   AT  CHICAGO,  ILLINOIS....].
[Chicago]:  [Jno.  B.  Jeffery] [1881]. First Edition.  Bound  in  the
original  brown  cloth  with  gilt depictions of  James  Garfield  and
Chester  Arthur  on the front cover, xi, 304, 36 pages. This  copy  is
SIGNED  by  William  McKinley at the top margin of the first  page  of
text.  This  copy is bound without the title page, likely  as  issued,
and  with  the  ink number "942" on the Introduction  page  indicating
perhaps  that  this copy was distributed at the  Convention.  McKinley
campaigned   for  Garfield  in  1880,   and  after  Garfield  won  the
Presidential  election,  McKinley succeeded him on the Ways and  Means
Committee,  rising  to  chairman in 1889 and  eventually  winning  the
Presidency  in  1896  and  1900.  He  was  assassinated  in  1901  and
succeeded  in  office  by his Vice  President,  Theodore  Roosevelt. A
later  spine  label  identifies this as McKinley's copy, and  it  very
well  may  be  but we are unable to definitively state that.  It  most
definitely,  however, is SIGNED by the future President. The book  has
been  rebacked  with the original spine laid down and with cloth  tape
reinforcement  to  the hinges. There is a library bookplate and  small
ink  stamp  on  the front pastedown. Text is evenly toned.  Very  Good
                                                               $7500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be
billed.  Postage additional:  $10.00 for the first book, $5.00 each

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent