[Rarebooks] FS: Signed Advance First Edition of Pearl Buck's Pulitzer Prize novel: THE GOOD EARTH

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Tue Apr 6 09:56:57 EDT 2010

 From our just posted new catalog, the entirety of which can be seen at
  http://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/catalogues.html

BUCK, Pearl. THE GOOD EARTH. New York: The John Day Company, (1931).
First Edition. ADVANCE REVIEW COPY, one of only 125 in wrappers
replicating the design of the dustwrapper. With the first issue point on
page 100. This copy is INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the author on the
half-title page: "For Kenneth Meeker/Pearl S. Buck." Tipped in between
the front endpaper and the half-title page is the scarce publisher's
four-page advertising flyer for the book offering publicity tips for
selling and displaying the book. Meeker was an editor at John Day at the
time of publication who went on to work in the Franklin Roosevelt
Administration as an aide and ambassador. Winner of the Pulitzer Prize,
THE GOOD EARTH describes the life of Wang Lung, a Chinese peasant whose
love of the land sustains him through years of hardship. The book is the
first in a series of three novels called THE HOUSE OF EARTH, which also
includes SONS (1932) and A HOUSE DIVIDED (1935). THE GOOD EARTH also
became a successful motion picture and was awarded the Howells medal of
the American Academy of Arts and Letters. Buck also won the 1938 Nobel
Prize for Literature largely based on the success of this book, the
first American woman to be awarded both the Pulitzer and Nobel Prizes
for literature, an honor she would hold until 1993. Housed in a red
cloth chemise and a red half morocco slipcase with some wear to the
spine. Some expected wrinkling to the spine from the glue used in
binding. Near Fine in a Very Good slipcase and quite scarce. $15,000.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each

info at charlesagvent.com