[Rarebooks] FS: First Edition of the MEMOIRS OF SAMUEL PEPYS, 1825

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Mon Dec 6 10:22:53 EST 2010

One of over 50 fine items in our Winter Miscellany of New Arrivals which
will be posted on our website Tuesday afternoon:

PEPYS, Samuel. MEMOIRS OF SAMUEL PEPYS, ESQ. F.R.S. SECRETARY TO THE
ADMIRALTY IN THE REIGNS OF CHARLES II. AND JAMES II. COMPRISING HIS
DIARY FROM 1659 TO 1669, DECIPHERED BY THE REV. JOHN SMITH, A.B. OF ST.
JOHN'S COLLEGE, CAMBRIDGE, FROM THE ORIGINAL SHORT-HAND MS. IN THE
PEPYSIAN LIBRARY, AND A SELECTION FROM HIS PRIVATE CORRESPONDENCE.
London: Henry Colburn, 1825. First Edition. Edited by Richard, Lord
Braybrooke. Two folio (9" x 11-3/4") volumes bound in early diced Russia
calf, neatly rebacked in matching period calf with dual contrasting
morocco spine labels, compartments ruled and ornamented in heavy gilt,
boards ruled in gilt, all edges gilt, turn-ins decorated in blind, silk
ribbon markers, page edges marbled; [2] xlii, 498, [2], xlix; [4] 348
[2] viii, [3] 311 pages. Illustrated with 13 engraved plates including
one double-page. The most revered personal history ever written in
English, Pepys's Diaries cover only nine years, 1660 to 1669, but very
interesting years in England. Plague, fire, and war are some of the
events Pepys lives through and records. Richard Garnett says no work of
the kind in the world's literature can for a moment be compared with The
Diary, which he calls "the most valuable document extant for the
understanding of the times." For Andrew Lang, Pepys is "perpetually the
most amusing of gossips, and, of all who have gossiped about themselves,
the only one who tells the truth." The Diary was written in a private
cipher and remained unreadable for more than a hundred and fifty years.
Bookplate and library label of John Waldie on the front pastedown of
each volume. Offsetting from plates to text; a few pages at end of each
volume with foxing. A very clean set, attractively bound. Near Fine in a
Near Fine custom cloth slipcase.

John Waldie was a noted 19th century London writer and art critic. His
theatre journals, covering 1798 to 1830 and comprising some 98 volumes,
have been published.         $2,500.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $15.00. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com