[Rarebooks] fs: Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Autograph lot

Back Creek Books rock at backcreekbooks.com
Sun Dec 19 11:22:43 EST 2010

Greetings Booklovers,

We are pleased to offer:
~
(No. 11234 )  Doyle, Arthur Conan (1859-1930); Arthur Edward Stilwell
(1859-1928). [AUTOGRAPH LOT] THE WANDERINGS OF A SPIRITUALIST (SIGNED); WITH
TWO ADDITIONAL AUTOGRAPH NOTES, SIGNED, AND A BOOK BY STILWELL.
New York: George H. Doran Company, (1921). First American edition, Original
cloth, Octavo, xi, [12]-299 pages, black and white photographic plates.
Good, No dust jacket.
      This lot of two books and some autograph notes connects Sir Arthur
Conan Doyle with one of America's last empire builders of the gilded age
through their shared interest in spiritualism. Arthur Edward Stilwell
founded Port Arthur, Texas, and the Kansas City Southern Railway, and
claimed to be guided by spirits--which he called "Brownies"--in many of his
decisions. The first item in this lot is an American first edition of "The
Wanderings of a Spiritualist"--Doyle's account of his 1920-1921 tour of
Australia and New Zealand lecturing on spiritualism. This copy is INSCRIBED
and SIGNED by Doyle on title page: "Yours in the great cause of Spirit- /
Arthur Conan Doyle. / May. 31/22". In addition there is a card from the
Ambassador Hotel in New York bearing an autograph note signed by Doyle to
Arthur Edward Stilwell. This reads: "May 30 / My Dear Stilwell / We are
clear tomorrow (Wednesday). / I could imagine nothing more pleasant than /
to start about 3:30 ^or later and drive with you, if / we could get back
about 6 ^ or later. Perhaps you / would let us know. / Hurriedly, / A Conan
Doyle". In addition there are two other separate autograph notes from Doyle
to Stilwell, each signed "A Conan Doyle." The first of these is on a note
card of the White Star Line and councils Stilwell "not to allude to the
Brownies" in is forthcoming book "The Light that Never Failed." The second
note is on stationery from a telegraph office near Doyle's home. Doyle
begins by telling Stilwell that "I am full of sympathy but it is simply
impossible for me to fall into your Brownie scheme." Doyle then goes on to
describe his itinerary for a tour of America. He also mentions fellow
spiritualist Rev. Vale Owen and tells Stilwell that he has mentioned him to
Lloyd George. Also included in this lot are a few spiritualism related
newspaper clippings from the period and a copy of Stilwell's book "Universal
Peace--War is Mesmerism," third edition, 1911. "Wanderings" shows some mild
exterior wear including extremity rubs, a short tear along lower joint, and
some apparent silverfish spotting to both boards. The autograph notes are
clear and bold with some mild browning to paper. The one on White Star
stationery has a fold crease and a small spot. "Universal Peace" is a lovely
copy with minimal wear. The news clippings are browned and somewhat
brittle....... $2000.00
- Photo(s), secure ordering:
http://www.backcreekbooks.biz/bookdetails.asp?book=11234

///*\\\*///*\\\*///*\\\*///*\\\*///*\\\*///*\\\
Terms:
All items offered subject to prior sale. Standard domestic shipping is $5.00
for the first book, $1.25 each additional book or
volume. Other methods or international delivery quoted upon request. Payment
accepted by credit card (V,MC,Amex, Discover), check, money order, or
PayPal. All items fully guaranteed and returnable if not as described.

Thank you for your interest.

Best regards,

Rock
Back Creek Books
Maryland, Abraham Lincoln, Americana, maritime, military, etc.
Post Office Box 3540, Annapolis, MD 21403, U.S.A.
Tel. 410-626-1363 or toll free 877-626-1363 -  Fax. 815-425-8542
Web: http://www.backcreekbooks.com  ~  Email: rock at backcreekbooks.com
On Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/y9n54tg
--
 Today's featured book from our stock at TomFolio.com:
 ~ Kimmel, Stanley.  'The Mad Booths of Maryland.'