[Rarebooks] FS: J. Edgar Hoover's Masters of Deceit INSCRIBED to Barry Goldwater

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Mon Dec 27 12:15:37 EST 2010

One of many fine items from our recent catalog--WINTER MISCELLANY
2010--with 56 select items, all new arrivals.  See it on our home page:

http://www.charlesagvent.com

HOOVER, J. Edgar. MASTERS OF DECEIT Inscribed to Barry Goldwater. New
York: Henry Holt and Company, (1958). First Edition. A message of fear
of Communism INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the longtime director of the FBI on
the front endpaper "To/Hon. Barry Goldwater/With warm personal
regards/J. Edgar Hoover" and dated 13 February 1958." Appointed director
of the Bureau of Investigation--predecessor to the FBI--in 1924, he was
instrumental in founding the FBI in 1935 after the publicity garnered
from the captures of such notorious criminals as John Dillinger, Machine
Gun Kelly, and the like. Hoover remained director until his death in
1972 and is credited with building the FBI into a large and efficient
crime-fighting agency and with instituting a number of modern
innovations to police technology, such as a centralized fingerprint file
and forensic laboratories. Late in life, and after his death, Hoover
became an increasingly controversial figure. His critics have accused
him of exceeding the jurisdiction of the FBI, using the organization to
harass political dissenters and activists, amassing secret files on
political leaders, and collecting evidence using illegal methods.
Goldwater, a five-term senator from Arizona, lost the race for president
to Johnson in 1964. Known as "Mr. Conservative," he is the politician
most often credited for sparking the resurgence of the American
conservative political movement in the 1960s and also had a substantial
impact on the libertarian movement. Near Fine, lacking the dustwrapper.
         $500.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com