[Rarebooks] fa: DONALD FRASER - HISTORY OF MAN - NY: 1806 - Subscribers include THOMAS JEFFERSON , JOHN JAY etc.

Ardwight Chamberlain ardchamber at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 26 12:12:19 EST 2010

Listed now, along with several other examples of 18th & 19th-century
philosophy and political economy, auctions ending Sunday, Feb. 28.
Details and images can be found at the URL below or by searching under
the seller name arch_in_la.

http://shop.ebay.com/arch_in_la/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340
OR
http://tinyurl.com/yhk74ma

Thanks,
Ardwight Chamberlain
L.A., CA USA

D[onald] Fraser: The History of Man, or, A view of the virtues and
vices of human nature in both sexes, with examples ancient & modern :
Together with some original essays on a variety of subjects, tending
to promote the principles of virtue, prudence and politeness : The
whole work being interspersed with useful and entertaining
narratives... First American, from the Third European Edition. New
York: Printed by Southwick & Hardcastle, No. 2 Wall-Street, for the
Editor, 1806. Hardcover 8vo (22 cm) in full period tree calf with gilt-
stamped spine and morocco spine label; 434 + [16] pp; subscribers list
bound in at rear.
An exhaustive and eccentric compendium of "historical facts and moral
reflections" illustrating "the most amiable and laudable virtues" as
well as "the most shocking vices which have in all ages disgraced our
species," all gathered together in an effort "to delight the
imagination, to improve the understanding and to mend the heart." The
16-page list of subscribers is bedecked with some of the most
prominent names in early American and New York history, including:
Thomas Jefferson, President of the U. States, John Jay; Robert
Livingston; Rufus King; George Clinton and DeWitt Clinton; John D.
Dickinson [Federalist congressman] of Lansingburgh; Leonard
Gansevoort; Rev. Benjamin Moore; as well as assorted Rensselaers,
Rhinelanders, Van Vechtens, etc., etc.

Donald Fraser seems to have been a prolific Scottish-American hack
writer of the period who produced a number of similarly wide-ranging
works, such as A Compendium of the History of All Nations, The
American Magazine of Wonders, and Marvelous Chronicle and The Young
Gentleman's and Lady's Assistant. He also forged a pamphlet purported
to be by Thomas Paine, The Recantation; Being an Anticipated
Valedictory Address, of Thomas Paine, to the French Directory (1797).
"On his arrival in New York, Paine found it necessary to call Fraser
to account. The Scotchman pleaded that he had vainly tried to earn a
living as fencing-master, preacher, and school-teacher, but had got
eighty dollars for writing the 'Recantation.' Paine said: 'I am glad
you found the expedient a successful shift for your needy family; but
write no more concerning Thomas Paine. I am satisfied with your
acknowledgment -- try something more worthy of a man'" (Moncure D.
Conway, The Life of Thomas Paine).

Extremities bumped and worn, front hinge cracked but board is secure;
age-toning and intermittent mild foxing of the text as is typical of
early American imprints (most noticeable on the list of subrscribers);
otherwise sound. Despite the statement on the title-page, we can find
no evidence of any earlier "European Editions" of Fraser's book, so we
suspect the claim was simply a marketing ploy by the canny Scot,
designed to give his work a spurious air of gravitas and popularity,
and that this is in fact the first edition anywhere.