[Rarebooks] FS: John Burroughs 2 Letters to Edward Bok for a tribute to Henry Ward Beecher

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Mon Jul 12 10:31:07 EDT 2010

One of many interesting items from our Summer Miscellany of 71 items
ranging in price from $15 to $7500, all of which can be seen here:
  http://www.charlesagvent.com

BURROUGHS, John. TWO AUTOGRAPH LETTERS SIGNED (ALSs) to Edward Bok,
Editor of the Brooklyn Magazine, regarding a tribute to Henry Ward
Beecher. West Park, NY, 1887. Two 1-1/2 page AUTOGRAPH LETTERS SIGNED to
Edward Bok, then editor of the BROOKLYN MAGAZINE, regarding a
contribution to a memorial volume for the Reverend Henry Ward Beecher,
pastor of Plymouth Church, Brooklyn, who died in 1887. In the first
letter, dated 16 March 1886 [obviously Burroughs meant 1887 as Beecher
was alive in 1886], Burroughs promises to try to contribute something to
the volume, "but as I cannot always make my pen subservient to my will I
can only promise conditionally.... If I succeed to my satisfaction you
can have the ms within the next ten days." In the second letter, he
states, "Accept my thanks for the two copies of the Beecher Memorial
volume.... You have done a rare service to the memory of this great man
by this collecting into a volume these tributes to his worth from so
many of his distinguished contemporaries." Fine. 		$500.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each

info at charlesagvent.com