[Rarebooks] FS: Exceptional George Bernard Shaw Proof, Manuscript, and Letters

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Fri Oct 1 11:13:52 EDT 2010

  One of MANY fine GEORGE BERNARD SHAW items in our inventory which can
be seen at http://www.charlesagvent.com

SHAW, George Bernard. EVERYBODY'S POLITICAL WHAT'S WHAT? Manuscript
Page, Page Proofs and 3 AUTOGRAPH LETTERS SIGNED (ALSs) by SHAW. London:
Constable and Company Ltd., 1943 and 1944. First Edition. Laurence A246
for the printed book. This collection, all housed in a green cloth
chemise within a half green morocco slipcase gilt-lettered on the spine
and front cover, consists of seven items related to the book: a single
page typed Manuscript Revised Contents Table dated 21 August 1943 with
several corrections in Shaw's hand numbering about 30 words; three
examples of proof pages for the title page with simple corrections by
Shaw including the elimination of "Machiavelli Modernized" from the
title (noted by Laurence as being eliminated by Shaw in the final
page-proof); and three AUTOGRAPH LETTERS SIGNED by Shaw with his
initials (two on postcards and one on both sides of a small sheet of
paper), one letter in Pitman's Shorthand (with a typed transcript), all
to John Wardrop regarding proofs and the index for the book as well as
Shaw's wife's illness. Some excerpts: "I always sign G. Bernard Shaw,
and my professional name is Bernard Shaw without the George, which I
loathe." "I am putting the book together fast, and hope soon to send you
the final revise in chapters and indexable. It has been a devil of a
job, and has cost me a play or two or perhaps three." "At your age I
undertook an index to the works of Thomas Lodge for an Elizabethan
Society. Being inexperienced and conscientious I did not know when to
stop." Though there is no evidence of ownership, these items came from
the collection of Harold Ackert. Very Good to Near Fine in a custom
slipcase.         $6,500.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 22nd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com