[Rarebooks] FOR SALE: FOLIOS

Norman Kane nkane at kanebooks.com
Mon Oct 25 16:10:20 EDT 2010

DORE, GUSTAVE.  TWO HUNDRED SKETCHES, HUMOROUS & GROTESQUE.
London: Frederick Warne & Co., 1867.  Original pictorial boards, 13-1/2 X 11 inches, cloth spine and corners, shelf label, numbers on t. p. verso, bookplate & pocket removed, o/w a good, clean copy. Illustrated throughout.      $90.00

THE DOODLES AND DIARIES OF JOHN VERNON LORD.  London: Camberwell Press, 1986.  Original cloth with title label, 10 X 15 inches, nice copy of this collection of intriguing  illustrations, &c. This copy is not signed. $ 125.00

LEA, TOM.  A PICTURE GALLERY. PAINTING AND DRAWINGS WITH TEXT BY THE ARTIST.  Boston: Little, Brown, 1968. First edition. 2 volumes,  nice copies in the original (just slightly worn) cloth box. (Text volume & portfolio of 35 plates - 12 in color.)  $70.00

[POMPEI]. I MONUMENTI ITALIANI. SERIE TWO, FACS. ONE. LA CASA DI LOREIO TIBURTINO & LA VILLA DE DIOMEDE IN POMPEI. TEXTO DI AMADEO MAIORI & ROBERTO PANE. Rome: Libreria dello Stato, 1947. Atlas folio, Original printed boards portfolio, 19-1/2 X 14 inches, libr. bookplate (cancelled),  shelf number & blindstamps not effecting images, o/w very good. In addition to the plates the text (in Italian) is illustrated with color reproductions of the wonderful wall paintings unearthed in these two homes. (Blew my mind when I first saw these in 1944. Vesuvius had recently let go again, destroying the funiculare ("funiculi, funicula!"), so that to look into the crater one had to slog up the side of the volcano through ankle-deep hot ash. Vesuvius lives still and millions of people live within its reach.)  Complete with 16 plates. $90.00

                        Trade Discount Available

THE AMERICANIST (NORMAN KANE)
nkane at kanebooks.com
919 967 9287