[Rarebooks] Cunningham Books Closing Sale (Portland, Maine)

William Van Nest trilliumbooks at sympatico.ca
Thu Sep 23 13:05:29 EDT 2010

One of the most attractive traditional used bookstores in New
England, Cunningham Books, at 188 State Street, Portland, Maine, will
close
its doors in mid October. Before my friend Nancy Grayson closes the
front door for the last time, the store's inventory is on sale
at much reduced prices. At a guess, that's 50,000 clean, well-chosen
used books you would expect to find in an especially well-run
general shop, together with special collections associated with Maine
and the northeast.

Cunningham Books is located at Longfellow Square, at the intersection
of State and Congress streets, in downtown Portland. Parking is pretty
dependably available on Congress just beyond the State/ Congress
corner, and there is some space behind the store as well. You can
reach Cunningham Books
at (207) 775- 2246. If you are from away and would like directions,
please e-mail me (Cunningham's does not have e-mail), and I'll be
pleased
to help get you oriented. Portland is Boston arranged on a human
scale, and you will have no difficulty finding suitable diversions
after attending the sale.

William Van Nest

Trillium Antiquarian Books, IOBA
1285 Albertus Avenue