[Rarebooks] FS: The First Book on Glass Making: Neri: ART DE LA VERRERIE, 1752, First French Edition, Illustrated

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Wed May 4 09:28:00 EDT 2011

One of the 60 fine new arrivals posted this week on our website as part
of our SPRING MISCELLANY catalog.  See them all here:
http://www.charlesagvent.com

(NERI, Antonio; MERRET, Christopher; KUNCKEL, Johann). ART DE LA
VERRERIE, DE NERI, MERRET ET KUNCKEL AUQUEL ON A AJOUTÉ LE SOL SINE
VESTE D'ORSCHALL ; L'HELIOSCOPIUM VIDENDI SINE VESTE SOLEM CHYMICUM ; LE
SOL NON SINE VESTE; LE CHAPITRE XI DU FLORA SATURNIZANS DE HENCKEL, SUR
LA VITRIFICATION DES VÉGÉTAUX; UN MÉMOIRE SUR LA MANIÈRE DE FAIRE LE
SAFFRE; LE SECRET DES VRAIES PORCELAINES DE LA CHINE & DE SAXE... Paris:
Durand & Pissot, 1752. First French Edition. Quarto (7-1/2" x 9-3/4")
bound in contemporary mottled calf with a heavily gilt-decorated spine
with five raised bands and a gilt-lettered red morocco spine label,
rebacked at an early date retaining the original spine. Illustrated with
an extra engraved title page (mounted on the recto of the engraved
frontispiece), 15 folding engraved plates, and several text engravings.
The first treatise devoted to the manufacture of glass, originally
published in Italian in 1612 and translated into English by Merret in
1662. This French edition combines the best 17th and 18th century works
on glass-making and deals also with the fabrication of fayence,
porcelain, mirrors, imitation gems, glazing techniques, the creation of
various colours, etc. Beautiful plates with glass production, melting
furnaces, tools etc. See J. R. Partington, A HISTORY OF CHEMISTRY,
Volume II, pages 361-377. Armorial bookplate on the front pastedown.
Early pencil and ink notes on front blanks. Near Fine copy.
$1,600.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com