[Rarebooks] fa: VITULUS AUREUS: THE GOLDEN CALF -With THE WONDERS OF THE PSYCHOPTIC LOOKING-GLASS 1749

Ardwight Chamberlain ardchamber at earthlink.net
Thu May 19 10:17:57 EDT 2011

Listed now, auction ending Sunday, May 22. More details and images can
be found at the URL below or by searching under the seller name
arch_in_la.

http://shop.ebay.com/arch_in_la/m.html?_trksid=p4340.l2562

Ardwight Chamberlain
L.A.

"...I shall endeavour to make this Treatise contain much more than is
promised in the Title Page. If I am forced to Rake in Dunghills
sometimes, I will try to Raise Flowers out of them. If I open
ulcerated Sores, I will apply a healing Plaister... On the other Hand,
I love my Soul, and my Neck too well, to lash at my God or my
King..." (from Chapter I: Explanation of the Title)
Vitulus Aureus: The Golden Calf. Or, A Supplement to Apuleius’s Golden
Ass. An Enquiry Physico-Critico-Patheologico-Moral into the Nature and
Efficacy of Gold: The prodigious Changes it causes in the Minds of
Men; so as sometimes to make a Fool become a Man of Parts, and a Man
of Parts a Fool. With the Wonders of the Psychoptic Looking-Glass,
Lately Invented by the Author, Joakim Philander. M.A. London: Printed
for T. Cooper, at the Globe in Pater-Noster-Row, 1749 [but 1739?].
Presumed first edition. Bound in early/period pigskin, 8vo; [2], [iii]-
vii, [1], 243 p. ESTC T67292.

Lacking the half-title and dedication (A2-3); last leaf browned and
glued down to the rear paste-down; binding worn and bumped at the
extremities with loss to the spine ends, interior hinges cracked but
boards are secure; small chips from the fore-edges of the first four
leaves, contents age-toned throughout with scattered spots and stains,
damp-staining to the bottom corner of the last 35-40 leaves; otherwise
sound, firmly bound.

A rough and imperfect, but fundamentally complete, copy of this
uncommon, eccentric, and (to us) very funny, almost Tristram Shandy-
esque collection of musings on contemporary mores. The chapter
headings include: An Anatomical Account of some surprising Phenomena
found in the Opening of two Gentlemens Skulls; Of a new-invented
squeezing Engine for all Stewards, Overseers, OEconomes, &c.; The
Testimonies of the Lords, Knights and Gentlemen (Sir Churlish Clunch,
Ubald Upstart, the Hon. Frensy Freak, the Right Hon. Lord Crushum, et
al), who have been Cured by the Psychoptic Looking-Glass; An Account
of several Letters to the Author about the Disorders of the
Intellectual OEconomy; Some Inconveniences attending Gentlemen, on a
surfeit of  Gold...And their Cures; The Author arrives at Merlin's
Cave, and what pass'd between Merlin and Him; etc., etc. ESTC suggests
there's a misprint in the publication date and that it should read
1739, not 1749, as the "work is noted in Gentleman’s Mag. register of
books for Jan. 1739."