[Rarebooks] FS: REMINISCENCES OF ELIZABETH CADY STANTON with an AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Mon Nov 14 10:59:41 EST 2011

 From our new catalog containing 45 items related to WOMEN AND THEIR
QUEST FOR EQUAL RIGHTS, recently posted on our website:
http://www.charlesagvent.com

STANTON, Elizabeth Cady. EIGHTY YEARS AND MORE (1815-1897) REMINISCENCES
OF ELIZABETH CADY STANTON with an AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS). New
York: European Publishing Company, 1898. First Edition. Publisher's dark
green cloth. Illustrated with 11 portraits. Laid in is a two-page
AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS) on both sides of one sheet by the author
presumably to Lucy Curtis, the mother of novelist and activist Laura
Curtis Bullard. In full: "26 West 61/N.Y. Feb 15. Dear Mrs. Curtis, Your
card & the nice crisp greenback received. The books will be sent you
tomorrow. I shall try to see you soon. The next time you are in this
locality come up & see me. We [have] an elevator that will bring you up
to my apartment. My Book has received many complimentary reviews. With
kind regards for Laurie & yourself. Sincerely yours, Elizabeth Cady
Stanton." The book itself is INSCRIBED and SIGNED on the front endpaper
in the hand of either Lucy or Laura: "To John H. Brown,/With kindest
regards,/of his friends,/Lucy W. Curtis/&/Laura Curtis Bullard/New
York/March 16th/1898." Library red ink stamps to the page edges and the
rear paste down, otherwise Near Fine.

Laura Curtis Bullard (1831-1912) was a novelist, editor, and activist
who succeeded Susan B. Anthony as the editor of the suffrage newspaper,
"The Revolution." In her 1856 novel CHRISTINE: OR, WOMAN'S TRIALS AND
TRIUMPHS, she created one of antebellum America's most radical heroines:
a woman's rights leader who openly challenges a social and legal system
that denies women full and equal rights. (#016101)        $1,500.00

See an image of this item here:

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/016101.jpg

--
All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.  Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost.  Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express, and Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given.  Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Signed Books, Presidential Autographs, Illustrated Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books.  We are celebrating our 24th year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.  Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com