[Rarebooks] FS: Superb 4-page Autograph Letter by Clara Barton on the Red Cross and dissension

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Fri Nov 18 10:33:50 EST 2011

 From our new catalog containing 45 items related to WOMEN AND THEIR
QUEST FOR EQUAL RIGHTS, recently posted on our website:
http://www.charlesagvent.com

BARTON, Clara. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS) on the Red Cross and
dissension. Glen Echo [MD], 15 May 1908. A four-page AUTOGRAPH LETTER
SIGNED on two adjoining sheets (5-1/4" x 6-1/2") dated 15 May 1908 from
the founder of the American Red Cross and SIGNED with her initials "C.
B." To Roscoe [G. Wells] and Harriette [L. Reed]. In part: "I am afraid
I almost killed you with my letters of Sunday. And it may be I was
entirely mistaken, and that the papers to go out to the people, are not
to call direct for me---and that this excellently expressed paper is
only for the men who are to lead, and not for the public---And this
would be all so right. You will perhaps understand, how these especially
Red Cross days (of San Francisco) are made to bear a little heavily on
me, and they are not missing their opportunity neither in New England,
or here. Their spades are full of earth just now to ignominiously bury
the poor old Red Cross. You will realize that it is not restful for me
to feel Miss Boardman visiting in the families, and talking to the
people of the city of my home, who have always been so willing to let me
go on and do the hard things they could not do themselves; and when I do
not hear of one who even asks her a question of the past, but all accept
her with honor and confidence, you will not wonder so much, that I
recoiled against asking those same people to show me favor. It was
foolish I know, but one cannot help being human, even if foolish and
[?]. It is all over now. I am stronger today, and have reflected that I
was probably mistaken...The R.C. here is steering very hard in these
last weeks to both justify and magnify itself. They are not yet
succeeding to the full measure of their hopes. I wonder if you realize
what an anchor to my soul you of Boston are? and how every moment my
thoughts turn to you with that glimmer of hope--and [?] of gratitude
that keep the spirit up...." Throughout her life, Barton thrived on a
"hands-on" approach to matters, often managing Red Cross chapters from
in the field. As the organization became more established, new board
members opposed this style with some participants looking to remove her
from power; "Miss Boardman" was Mabel Boardman, who emerged as her main
competitor. Following a multi-year power struggle, Barton's supporters
elected her president "for life" in 1902. The organization fractured
into Barton and Boardman supporters, with this letter, penned eight
years after that pivotal vote, revealing the bitterness that still
existed at the thought of "Miss Boardman visiting in the families, and
talking to the people of the city of my home, who have always been so
willing to let me go on and do the hard things they could not do
themselves." Faint crease from folding. Fine with excellent content.

In addition to founding the Red Cross, Barton established in 1905 the
National First Aid Association of America to promote first aid training.
Roscoe Green Wells was assistant to the president and commander of the
ambulance corps of the association. Harriette L. Reed, Barton's closest
friend whom she often called "sister," became president of the
association following Barton's death. Barton was also an ardent suffrage
supporter. She was a friend of Susan B. Anthony and spoke at many
suffrage conventions, including the first national women's suffrage
convention held in Washington, D.C. (1869) and National American Woman
Suffrage Association (NAWSA) Conventions of 1893, 1902, 1904, and 1906.
(#016109)        $1,500.00

See an image of one of the four pages of this letter here:

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/016109.jpg

--
All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.  Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost.  Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express, and Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given.  Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Signed Books, Presidential Autographs, Illustrated Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books.  We are celebrating our 24th year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.  Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com