[Rarebooks] FS: Scarce Early American Medicine: DISSERTATION ON THE DISEASE PRODUCED BY THE BITE OF A MAD DOG, 1792, price reduced

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Sun Oct 9 15:39:15 EDT 2011

Price reduced:    Was $850   Now  $750:

MEASE, James. AN INAUGURAL DISSERTATION ON THE DISEASE PRODUCED BY THE
BITE OF A MAD DOG, OR OTHER RABID ANIMAL... Philadelphia: Thomas Dobson,
1792. First Edition. Recent full calf; [6], v, 130 [1] pages. Austin
1247; Evans 24534; Heirs of Hippocrates 761. An important first book by
a noted antiquarian, geologist, and physician in early nineteenth
century America who, among other accomplishments, led the fight for
systematic instruction of pharmacists. Mease would continue to write on
rabies throughout his life, being particularly active in exposing quack
cures of the dreaded disease. Errata leaf present with one manuscript
correction. Possibly lacking the half title page though none of the
copies we are aware of have one. The last copy to appear at auction was
in 1988. Mild foxing to title page. Handful of pages with margins
trimmed closely but with no loss. (#005121)        $750.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com