[Rarebooks] FS - Biblia Pentapla 1711/1712

GREENFIELD BOOKS mail at greenfieldbooks.com
Tue Oct 18 10:49:04 EDT 2011

*GLUSING, Johann Otto (ed. - attr..)/ BIBLIA PENTAPLA, das ist: Die
Bucher der Heiligen Schrift des Alten und Neuen Testaments. /*Printed
and published in Gottorf, Germany, by Hermann Heinrich Holle, in 1711
and 1712. Two volumes, bound in period full vellum with yapped edges.
Usual darkening and scuffing to vellum. Wear to corners. Hinges tender
but holding. Contents age-toned, but perfectly readable. A good/good
plus copy.
¶ By making possible the comparison of multiple translations, the
purpose of the Biblia Pentapla was to improve the understanding of the
words of the Scripture, and to enable the reader to learn the basis of
each religious group's beliefs. It contains the translation by Caspar
Ulenberg of the so-called "Mainz" bible, which was the most widely-used
translation in the Roman Catholic Church at that time. It also contained
Martin Luther's translation, the reformed bible of Joseph Piscator, the
Dutch State Bible, and the "Jewish translation" of the Old Testament by
Rabbi Joseph Josel as taken from the text printed in Amsterdam in 1670.
In place of the New Testament, was reproduced the new translation of the
radical Pietest Johann Henrich Reitz. Besides the Apocypha and the
Pseudopigrapha, the Biblia Pentapla also included the Apostolic Fathers,
as translated by Gottfried Arnold.

Magne Saebo, in "The Hebrew Bible / Old Testament / The History of Its
Interpretation", attributes (p. 914) the editorship of this Biblia
Pentapla to Johann Otto Glusing (1676-1727). Volume I (pp. 1,650)
contains Genesis to Job; volume II (pp. 1,076, 584) contains the balance
of the Old Testament and the Apocrypha. A third volume, containing the
New Testament, is absent. Our copy has an ink name on each of the front
free endpapers. Each page of the text is in five columns, with
contrasting scriptural interpretations. Elaborate engraved frontispiece
in vol. I shows the Garden of Eden. The title page of volume I is
printed in red and black ink. The text is in German. See Darlow & Moule,
vol. two, p. 503.

A photo of the title page and frontispiece of the first volume may be
viewed at: http://www.greenfieldbooks.com/Pics/BibliaPentapla.JPG

Price: $950  #040780

Terms of sale - the price is in USD, although payment will be accepted
in Canadian dollars, at par. Payment may be made by check, credit card,
or PayPal. Postage and packing charge will be $15 in North America; $35
overseas. Returnable within seven days of receipt, if not as described.

Greenfield Books Ltd.
Rare books sought, bought and sold
Member: ABAC/ILAB
217 Academy Road,