[Rarebooks] FS: Pulitzer Prize Winning Biography of Julia Ward Howe by her daughters with a leaf of ORIGINAL MANUSCRIPT bound in

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Tue Oct 18 11:22:47 EDT 2011

 From our new catalog containing 45 items related to WOMEN AND THEIR
QUEST FOR EQUAL RIGHTS, recently posted on our website.

1.  [HOWE, Julia Ward] RICHARDS, Laura and ELLIOTT, Maud Howe. JULIA
WARD HOWE 1819 - 1910. Boston & New York: Houghton Mifflin Company,
1915. First Edition. Two volumes in original cloth-backed boards. Copy
#98 of 450 copies of the Large-Paper Edition with a numbered (11) leaf
of Howe's unsigned AUTOGRAPH MANUSCRIPT tipped in by the publisher, this
example with interesting content on women's rights. In full: "cry of the
state, they are allowed no will, no voice. This half of the moralising
[?] of [society?] is paralysed at its source. The mothers, the sisters,
the daughters, the women who fill the churches, & carry out the precepts
taught them, these women must remain dead letters in the state. When we
talk of women & children, we talk of a large proportion of the human
race. More, who do not know what children are, who do not know what
women are, must legislate for them. No brave voice of a mother can say
aye or no [?] [?] prohibitions affecting their life." Illustrated with
plates and portraits, including a facsimile manuscript of "The Battle
Hymn of the Republic." Winner of the 1917 Pulitzer Prize for Biography.
Former library copy with bookplates, pockets, and a few stamps; front
free endpaper lacking in first volume. Exteriors a bit rubbed but clean.
About Very Good. (#016119)        $350.00

2.  [HOWE, Julia Ward] RICHARDS, Laura and ELLIOTT, Maud Howe. JULIA
#54 of 450 copies of the Large-Paper Edition with a numbered (12) leaf
of Howe's unsigned AUTOGRAPH MANUSCRIPT tipped in by the publisher. In
full: "The reason that morals are democratic is this, that they are
equalising. [?] to every human soul an identity of interest and of
obligation, at our individual and universal, they call to all men to [?]
and when the same lack of good faith & intention, however diverse they
may be in power." Illustrated with plates and portraits, including a
facsimile manuscript of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic." Winner of the
1917 Pulitzer Prize for Biography. Newspaper clippings pasted to front
pastedown and free endpaper in the first volume with an owner's name
dated 1915. Exteriors a bit rubbed but clean. Very Good set.
(#016120)        $250.00

3.  [HOWE, Julia Ward] RICHARDS, Laura and ELLIOTT, Maud Howe. JULIA
WARD HOWE 1819 - 1910. Boston & New York: Houghton Mifflin Company,
1915. First Edition. Two volumes: the first rebound in library buckram
and the second in original cloth-backed boards. Copy #250 of 450 copies
of the Large-Paper Edition with an unnumbered leaf of Howe's unsigned
AUTOGRAPH MANUSCRIPT tipped in by the publisher. In full: "Perhaps I
cannot do better at the beginning of this inquiry, for it is such, than
to touch for a moment the master ]?] of philosophy. This tells us, I
think, that opposition & harmony are the two words of creation in the
moral & the physical universe. The laws of nature are every where
coupled in this double relation, with action distinct, but both
continuing in a composite result. I need only remind you of the [?] [?]
[?] to make you aware of this in the correlative opposition in the."
Illustrated with plates and portraits, including a facsimile manuscript
of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic." Winner of the 1917 Pulitzer Prize
for Biography. Library bookplate on front pastedowns, occasional ink and
blindstamps but manuscript leaf is Fine. Exteriors rubbed and a little
worn. Good set. (#016122)        $200.00

4.  [HOWE, Julia Ward] RICHARDS, Laura and ELLIOTT, Maud Howe. JULIA
WARD HOWE 1819 - 1910. Boston & New York: Houghton Mifflin Company,
1915. First Edition. Volume 1 only of two volumes in original
cloth-backed boards and the scarce dustwrapper. One of 450 numbered
copies of the Large-Paper Edition with a lettered (A W. S.) leaf of
Howe's unsigned AUTOGRAPH MANUSCRIPT tipped in by the publisher, this
example with 23 lines including some exceptional content on women's
rights. In full: "It is not natural for women to make their lives
entirely secondary to and dependent upon those of man. Nature, who
divides her offices so equally between the sexes, nowhere gives any
indication of an inferior intention or position for the mothers of
living things. On the contrary, it is natural for the male animal to
show a certain respect and tenderness for his female companion, while
she busies herself principally with the arduous duties of rearing her
tender brood. The [?] of the him-her [?] is proverbial. Among insects,
the female is usually stronger than the male, a fortunate fact, since to
her belongs the office of finding food for the [?] family." Illustrated
with plates and portraits, including a facsimile manuscript of "The
Battle Hymn of the Republic." Winner of the 1917 Pulitzer Prize for
Biography. A Fine copy with a Very Good example of the printed white
dustwrapper. (#016167)        $500.00

5.  [HOWE, Julia Ward] RICHARDS, Laura and ELLIOTT, Maud Howe. JULIA
#392 of 450 copies of the Large-Paper Edition with a numbered (3) leaf
of Howe's unsigned AUTOGRAPH MANUSCRIPT tipped in by the publisher.
Though not directly making a statement about women's rights, a favorite
subject of Howe's, this 20-line manuscript seems to be part of an
argument for equal treatment of women. In full: "...difficulties will
have to be imagined by me. I know there are difficulties connected with
the treatment of this question, for I have encountered them myself. But
if we try to think at all in the direction of progress, are we not [?]
[?] encounter difficulties? Look at the opposition which any
acknowledged doctrine makes to a new one. We [?] slowly & unwillingly
mankind [?] find out that they have been in the wrong. The [?] doing its
best to [?] & [?], see the old systems of astronomy reluctantly giving
place to the Copernican system. With Europe holding on to aristocratic
traditions," Illustrated with plates and portraits, including a
facsimile manuscript of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic." Winner of the
1917 Pulitzer Prize for Biography. Some fraying to the spine tips and
rubbing. Very Good. (#016168)        $400.00

6.  [HOWE, Julia Ward] RICHARDS, Laura and ELLIOTT, Maud Howe. JULIA
#8 of 450 copies of the Large-Paper Edition with a numbered (23) leaf of
Howe's unsigned AUTOGRAPH MANUSCRIPT tipped in by the publisher. This
example is about Christ and eternal life. In full: "The promise of a
future life is held to have such prominence in Christ's teaching as to
lead Paul to say that the Master 'brought life and immortality to
light.' How did he do this? By filling the life of today with the
consciousness of eternal things, of truths and principles which would
not change if the whole visible universe were to pass away. No one
today, I think, will maintain that Christ created the hope which he
aroused in an activity before undreamed of. The majority of the Jews
be-" Illustrated with plates and portraits, including a facsimile
manuscript of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic." Winner of the 1917
Pulitzer Prize for Biography. Some fraying to the spine tips and
rubbing. Very Good. (#016169)        $300.00

7.  [HOWE, Julia Ward] RICHARDS, Laura and ELLIOTT, Maud Howe. JULIA
WARD HOWE 1819 - 1910. Boston & New York: Houghton Mifflin Company,
1915. First Edition. Volume 1 only of two volumes in original
cloth-backed boards and the scarce dustwrapper. One of 450 numbered
copies of the Large-Paper Edition with a leaf of Howe's unsigned
AUTOGRAPH MANUSCRIPT titled "Values" tipped in by the publisher, this
example with 18 lines. In full: "A point too much neglected in the
education of both men and women is the proper sense and comparison of
values. Although we must not confound money with morals, yet the proper
handling of money has much to do with the moral rectitude of our lives.
In thinking of this, let us begin by acknowledging that we women, like
other human creatures, are very liable to be dazzled by false values,
and to mistake show for substance. We are commonly most likely to do
this in the inestimably precious days of our youth, when our bodily
strength &." Illustrated with plates and portraits, including a
facsimile manuscript of "The Battle Hymn of the Republic." Winner of the
1917 Pulitzer Prize for Biography. A Fine copy with a close to Fine
example of the printed white dustwrapper. (#016170)        $450.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com