[Rarebooks] FS: The First Newspaper For Women's Rights, Honolulu, 1855

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Mon Oct 24 10:23:22 EDT 2011

 From our new catalog containing 45 items related to WOMEN AND THEIR
QUEST FOR EQUAL RIGHTS, recently posted on our website:
http://www.charlesagvent.com

After a long search for this rather obscure item, we discovered two
copies in the same city on the same weekend.  We have sold one.  This
one is available:

DAMON, Samuel C., Seamen's Chaplain (Editor). THE FRIEND. A SEMI-MONTHLY
JOURNAL, DEVOTED TO TEMPERANCE, MARINE AND GENERAL INTELLIGENCE
containing within the only issue published of THE FOLIO, The First
Newspaper For Women's Rights. Honolulu, Oahu, HI: Polynesian Press; New
Era and Argus Office, 1855. First Edition. New Series Volume IV, Old
Series Volume XII. Quarto (9-1/8" x 11-5/8") bound in recent
cloth-backed marbled boards; (4), 92, 4 pages. Despite the sub-title,
the journal was issued monthly. It includes much material of historical
interest including the funeral of Kamehameha III and inauguration of
Kamehameha IV, the annexation of the Sandwich Islands, and numerous
pieces about temperance, whaling, shipwrecks. Bound at the rear is the
only issued published of THE FOLIO, The First Newspaper For Women's
Rights and The First Feminist Journal Published West Of The Mississippi.
According to an article in THE HAWAIIAN JOURNAL OF HISTORY (Volume XIX,
1985)---"The Folio of 1855--A Plea for Women's Rights," by Helen G.
Chapin and David W. Forbes---the issue "is a blend of older, more
conventional sentiments of women's natural superiority with more radical
and newer ideas--in other words, double messages by which women and men
intellectually and emotionally encompass ambiguities. Nevertheless, the
total effect is one of a vigorous feminism." The first words of the
paper are based on the Declaration of Sentiments of the Seneca Falls
women's rights statement: "When, in the course of human events, it
becomes necessary for a person or class of persons to sever the ties
with which nature or society has bound them to a certain position or
line of conduct.... We hold it to be a self-evident fact, that man
[italics] is possessed of certain inalienable rights, and in the
beginning, we declare ourselves free and independent of any disposition
to invade those rights." The tone then softens a bit and the manifesto
declares that women will claim their rights "not with tongue or sword,
but pen." The articles in THE FOLIO were anonymously written, but
research indicates that the authors were likely Julia Damon, the Rev.
Damon's wife, and Catherine Whitney, wife of Henry Whitney, editor of
the PACIFIC COMMERCIAL ADVERTISER. The articles within include verses,
prayers, and stories about superior women who were wives and
mothers--even one who saved a ship at sea when her husband the captain
suddenly became ill. In one piece the author wittily warns men about the
volcanic fires of Mauna Loa avenging women. Light and occasional
browning and foxing. An old dampstain affects most of the bottom half in
some of the text, mostly toward the rear and including THE FOLIO. Still
Near Fine and quite scarce.

This single-issue newspaper was originally designed as a handout for a
fair sponsored by the "Ladies of the Protestant Mission" and was
subsequently reprinted and distributed to subscribers of the FRIEND in
its next issue, with a circulation of about 1000 copies, as represented
here. No example of the original handout is known to have survived.
Another 25 years passed before a women's newspaper appeared again in
Hawaii, and it too was a single issue only and was both more
conventional and less interesting than its forerunner. An argument can
be made that THE FOLIO is the very first newspaper dedicated to women's
rights published anywhere as Amelia Bloomer's THE LILY, which was first
published in 1849, began as a temperance journal and only later began
including articles on women's rights. (#016176)        $12,500.00

See an image of this item here:

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/016176.jpg

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com