[Rarebooks] FS: FIRST PUBLISHED REPORTS OF THE UNITED STATES SUPREME COURT, 1798 - 1807; price greatly reduced

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Mon Oct 24 12:12:38 EDT 2011

Price reduced:     Was $2500,      Now $1500

DALLAS, A[lexander] J[ames]. REPORTS OF CASES RULED AND ADJUDGED IN THE
COURTS OF PENNSYLVANIA, BEFORE AND SINCE THE REVOLUTION. Philadelphia,
1806; 1798; 1799; 1807. First Edition. Four octavo volumes (5-1/4" x
9-1/4") bound in much later legal tan buckram with contrasting
gilt-lettered morocco spine labels; x, 492, i-26; [2], iv, 480, xix;
[viii], 519, [1], xiii; [vi], 472, xxxiv, [xiv] pages. Complete with
half title in the first volume which is the 1806 Second Edition; the
remaining volumes are First Editions dated 1798, 1799, and 1807
respectively. The first edition of Volume I was published in 1790. Evans
33598, 35374, 22445; Shaw & Shoemaker 12384. Of great importance as
these volumes contain the FIRST PUBLISHED REPORTS OF THE UNITED STATES
SUPREME COURT, covering the cases which appeared before the Court from
its inception in 1790 through 1800. Ownership signature of William T.
Dwight on the title pages of the first and third volumes. Dwight was the
sixth son of Dr. Timothy Dwight, President of Yale College 1795-1822,
and a great-grandson of Jonathan Edwards. He practiced law in
Philadelphia for about ten years after graduating from Yale in 1813
before pursuing a career in the Ministry. Several pages bear his ink
notes. Three other unknown signatures on the other title pages. Several
ink and blindstamps of the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas. Light
browning and foxing. Very Good and scarce. (#013649)        $1,500.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $20.00. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com