[Rarebooks] FS: THE LIFE AND WRITINGS OF HENRY FUSELI. Inscribed by Josiah Quincy with an AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED, price greatly reduced

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Tue Oct 25 15:17:34 EDT 2011

Price reduced:     Was $1500,      Now $1000

[QUINCY, Josiah] FUSELI, HENRY (AUTHORED AND EDITED BY JOHN KNOWLES).
THE LIFE AND WRITINGS OF HENRY FUSELI. Inscribed by Josiah Quincy with
an AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS) by Quincy. London: Henry Colbun/Richard
Bentley, 1831. First Edition. Three octavo volumes bound in half
polished calf with calf corners: xvi, (2), 439; (2), 2-391; (3), 4-408
pages. Frontispiece portrait in the first volume. INSCRIBED and SIGNED
on the front free endpaper: "Mr. Nathan F. Baker/with the respects
of/Josiah Quincy/15. Feb. 1847. Boston." Tipped in below the inscription
is a one-page AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS) by Quincy to Baker dated the
same day as the inscription: "You have bestowed on me an object, doubly
valuable, as a permanent remembrancer of the features of one friend and
a perpetual memorial of the genius and kind feelings of another. I have
nothing of like nature to reciprocate. Permit me, however, to request
you to accept and take home with you, the accompanying volumes. While
recalling to your memory the genius and virtues of a great artist, I
hope, they will occasionally revive in your mind the recollection of an
individual, who is desirous always to exist in it as Your well wisher
and obliged friend, Josiah Quincy." Josiah Quincy (1772-1864) was a
congressional representative from Massachusetts, mayor of Boston, and a
president of Harvard. He sponsored a bill for admission of Orleans
Territory as a state. He was the son of Josiah Quincy, Sr., a political
leader in the American Revolution who opposed the Stamp Act. Front hinge
of the first volume cracked and loose but holding by the cords. Some
rubbing to the leather; contents clean. Very Good. (#014125)
$1,000.00

See images here:

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/014125.jpg

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/014125a.jpg

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/014125b.jpg

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/014125c.jpg

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/014125d.jpg

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/014125e.jpg

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/014125f.jpg

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/014125g.jpg

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $12.00. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com