[Rarebooks] FS: Philadelphia, Deistical English Writers, Dickens set

Michelle Levick bookmaven at comcast.net
Sat Oct 29 14:11:33 EDT 2011

> For your consideration:

The Official Guide Book to Philadelphia, A New Handbook for Strangers and Citizens by Westcott, Thompson, Porter Coates, Philadelphia, 1875   ($125.00 PP)
Illustrated with nearly one hundred engravings. With a history of the city. The map of Railways and Fairmount Park are missing. A list of  "Changes, Additions and Corrections," from the time of writing to publication are stated in the first page. The "Guide" is endorsed by the Mayor of Philadelphia, William S. Stokely, reflected in a letter from him with the Coat Of Arms for the City of Philadelphia. Contents: Chart of Excursions from Philadelphia; Academies & Schools; Warves and Docks; Asylums; Churches; Banks; Parks; listing of Hotels, Lodgings, Restaurants; Clubs; Courts; Historic buildings and Homes: Custom House; Declaration of Independence; Carpenters Hall; Horticultural Hall; Northern Home and Soldiers' Orphans Home; Chew's House, etc.;  Libraries; Markets; Coffee Houses; Trotting, Racing, and Driving Parks; Zoological Gardens, Fairmount Park; Amusements: Theatres; Minstrel Halls; Opera and Music; Art; Scientific Exhibitions, etc. A Chart of Coins: Value of Foreign Gold and Silver Coins in The Money of The United States; Postage to Foreign Countries; Foreign Consuls At Philadelphia..Thompson Westcott,  (b.) Philadelphia, 1820-1888, Educated at the University of Pennsylvania Law School and became a member of the Philadelphia Bar in 1841. Westcott, wrote for many law journals, including the Public Ledger, was Editor and Chief of the "Inquirer" and received an editorial appointment for the Philadelphia "Record". He wrote various historical articles books on Philadelphia: Centennial Folio, 1876; Historic Mansions and Buildings of Philadelphia; the popular  "A History of Philadelphia" 1884, with J. Thomas Scharf, and "A History of Philadelphia from It's First Settlements on the Delaware to the Consolidation in 1854".
Excellent engravings of the sites, Universities, Hospitals, scenic areas of the city, public buildings, such as the Ridgway Library Building, Broad & Christian Streets, over two pages. The Ridgway Library was built in 1878, which indicates to me that this issue is a later edition. There are also wonderful engravings of Fairmount Park's areas when it was considered a a 19th century get-away from the city for Philadelphia gentry, such as Hermit's Pool, Hemlock Glen, etc., and historic houses; the fountain at the Lemon Hill mansion, built by Henry Pratt in 1796; the house Solitude, John Penn, 1785, now part of the Zoological Gardens. A two page engraving of the Centennial Exhibition, 1876: "Cook's World's Ticket Offices Centennial Grounds Philadelphia," and many others. Along with over 70 pages of advertisements with illustrations: Manufacturers; Law Firms; Booksellers; Churches; Furniture; Chemist; Photographers; Grocers; Tailors; Department Stores (John Wanamaker & Co.), and many others. Prior to the Indexes the is a 26 page article, "Six Days In Philadelphia". Followed by Index to chapters, and another Index to Advertisers. Green cloth boards and spine, black scripted title to front board with gilt stamped City of Philadelphia Coat of Arms. Scripted gilt title to spine, nice and bright. Rubbing of extremities, slight fraying to lower spine end, front and rear joints each has short closed tears. Paste down has two decorative previous owner ex-libris plates, e.p. name written to top margin, previous owner oblong name plate to lower page. The front e.p.'s are text, rear is an ad, with paste down being a Short Index for Ready Reference, of which you can see an ad to the verso. Frontispiece, "New Public Buildings, Broad and Market Streets," which is actually and engraving of City Hall". I believe the missing maps were removed from the center of this book, as the text block looks repaired, not obvious. Page 203 second line "Franklin Market Company" has a thin red pencil line under the text, else clean text with a good font, bright illustrations, solidly bound. xvi,425, iii, 70. Page 67 1inch closed tear to side margin. Copyright 1875

The Picture of Philadelphia, Giving an Account of its Origin, Increase and Improvements in arts, Sciences, Manufactures, Commerce and Revenue. With a Compendious View of its Societies, Literary, Benevolent, Patriotic, & Religious. Its Police -- the Public Buildings -- the Prison and Penetentiary  System -- Institutions, Monied and Civil - Museum.   Mease, James, M.D.  B. & T. Kite, Philadelphia, 1811    ($275.00 PP)
This issue being an uncommon edition containing 356 pages, with an Errata on the lower half of the last page, and the Appendix. A General listing of contents:  Topographical Description; Planes of the City; Wards; Population; Number of Houses; Deaths 1793-1797; Diseases and Mortality; Climate; Camparision between Philadelphia and New York; Commerce; Exports; Prices, 1790-1811; Inspection of: Beef; Flour; Shad, Herring, etc.; Survey of Damaged Ships and Cargoes; Periodical Publications; Manufacturers; Breweries; Governments; Markets; Jails; Auctioneers; Hospital; Humane Society; Health Laws; Law for Debtors, etc.  Headings: State Law Courts; Banks; Insurance Offices; Private and Endowed Institutions; Associations for General Charity; Free School; Patriotic Societies; Mutual Benefit Societies; Associations for Relief of Foreigners; Libraries & Library Institutions; Public Buildings. Appendix: Ommission respecting the propeser of Hose Companies; Notice of St. Michael's Church; Notice of Aitkens Bible, of 1782; Correction respecting the Streets. James Mease, 1771-1846; was a prominent citizen of Philadelphia; physician, scientific thinker, philosopher and author, he also very patriotic in his support of the United States and the first Vice-President of the Philadelphia Athenaeum.
This book has been re-backed and re-cased with a beautiful new Tree calf spine with gilt decorations in the same pattern as the original board dentells, black leather title panel, original Tree calf boards, and blue marbled e.p.s. Rubbing of board edges and extremities. Fold out engraving of Kensington Port, professional paper repair to closed tear and far edge. Image clean and clear. Faded oval red ex-libris stamp to title page, very hard to read appears to be a University library, evidence of small erasure area to upper blank corner of first page of contents, very small blue letters/numbers? faintly showing. Text paper toned, however in very good shape with a nice clear font, few upper margin stains. Beautiful professional repairs to this rare issue of James Mease' Picture of Philadelphia. First Edition. 12 mo. 356 pp., Appendix. In protective archival film wrap. Under publisher: "For Sale by them and Joseph Delaplaine. (1777-1824, Publisher)

A View of the Principle Deistical Writers that have Appeared in England in the Last and Present Century; with Observations upon them and some Account of the Answers that have been Published against them.  ($115.00 PP. _
Leland, John, D.D.  B. Dod, London, 1755, Second Edition
In Several Letters to a Friend. The Second Edition with Additions, Volume I
First published in 1754. Expanded twice after. A full treatment of the literature of this important controversy. The term 'Deism' describes an unorthodox religious attitude expressed by a group of English writers beginning with Lord Herbert of Cherbury in the first half of the seventeenth century and ending with Viscount Bolingbroke, in the middle of the eighteenth century.  Leland provides a detailed review of the works of  leading Deists, and of the responses that these works provoked. This volume deals with the particular works of Lord Herbert Cherbrury; Charles Blount's writings; Earl of Shaftesbury; Thomas Woolston; Dr. Mathew Tindal; Dr. Thomas Morgan; Thomas Chubb, with arguments, reflections, views and summary. Although published in two volumes, each
was complete in itself.
Full brown calf boards and spine, 5 ridges to spine. Mild rubbing to extremities and boards. Rear board rubbing 1 inch stain to right corner. Front and rear paste downs are wrinkled,  prev. owners faintly to f.e.p. Title page mildly stained, written 'W' next to "View", few pale fountain pen ink stains, 'x  2'  after Vol. Text very middy toned, bright, few fox spots. Very nice solid copy. 494 pp. sm 8 vo.

Charles Dickens Complete Works, 12 Volumes,    ($225.00  Media Mail $12.00)
Dickens, Charles; Illustrated by, Cruikshank, Phiz, Barnard, et al, The Home Library Edition, Estes and Lauriat, Boston,
Twelve volumes (out of 15) containing: 200 illustrations, 50 Steel Engravings by Cruikshank, Phiz, Barnard and others. Dombey and Son, 1881; The Adventures of Oliver Twist. American Notes. The Uncommercial Traveler, 1882; Barnaby Rudge, and The Mystery of Edwin Drood, 1882); The Personal History of David Copperfield, (1882); Great Expectations, Pictures From Italy, Master Humphrey's Clock, No Thoroughfare, (1882),  Our Mutual Friend, (1882); The Old Curiosity Shop, Hard Times, (1882); Bleak House, (1882); Little Dorrit, (1882); A Child's History of England, The Holly-Tree Inn, & Other Stories, (1882); Nicholas Nickleby (Life and Adventures, 1882); The Posthumous Papers of The Pickwick Club, (1882). Illustrations include tissue covered frontispiece. Illustrations/engravings and text are very bright and clean. All stories complete in each volume.
Bound in three quarter morocco, maroon marbled boards, e.p. and page edges. Old Curiosity shop rear blank e.p. 7" closed tear. Few volumes have cracked hinges, all volumes solidly bound, covers secure. Gilt titles to spine, with four raised bands. Rubbing of extremities and boards. Mild chipping to few spine ends. Engravings tissue covered. Each volume 800 to 900 pages. Type clear and very readable.