[Rarebooks] FS: SIGNED Will Rogers: LETTERS OF A SELF-MADE DIPLOMAT TO HIS PRESIDENT

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Thu Sep 8 10:56:17 EDT 2011

ROGERS, Will. LETTERS OF A SELF-MADE DIPLOMAT TO HIS PRESIDENT. New
York: Albert & Charles Boni, 1926. First Edition. Brown cloth.
Illustrated with drawings. INSCRIBED and SIGNED by the author on the
front endpaper nearly filling the page: "Frank Wilson/Best
Wishes/of/Will Rogers/almost an author/Houston June 28, 1928." The title
page states "Volume I" but Rogers in his preface reveals that statement
to be a joke indicating that many more of these humorous sketches
disguised as letters and telegrams to President Coolidge could be
compiled. Rogers was born in Indian Territory in 1879 and had some
Native American blood in his veins. He began in vaudeville and moved on
to motion pictures, a career that was cut short when he died in a small
plane crash in 1935 near Point Barrow, Alaska. Perhaps he was best
known, however, for his syndicated newspaper column which had such a
massive following that the proposition that he run for President was
once seriously advanced. His saying, "All I know is what I read in the
newspapers," became a popular catchword of the times. Books signed or
inscribed by this most popular of American humorists, especially with
such a fine inscription, are rather uncommon. Very Good in a Near Very
Good, soiled dustwrapper with a few tears and small chips. (#014899)
     $1,500.00

--
All items subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first book; $5.00 each thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions Club books. We are celebrating our 23rd year of business and are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB). Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you.

info at charlesagvent.com