[Rarebooks] FS: Tear Down that Church!!! (1788)

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Wed Aug 8 07:39:20 EDT 2012

TITLE: “An Act for pulling down the Church of Saint James at Clerkenwell,
in the County of Middlesex, and for building a New Church, and making a
new Church-yard, or Cemetery, in the said Parish, with convenient Avenues
and Passages thereto”

Printed in London by Charles Eyre and Andrew Strahan on May 18th, 1788.

DISCUSSION: An interesting record of the work it took to take down an old
church and graveyard and put up a new one. St. James at Clerkenwell was a
combination of 17th and 18th century styles built over an older abbey; it
was taken down and replaced by a nice Georgian structure which still
stands. Much of this document has to do with the financing of the project,
the trustees, and arrangements to purchase adjoining lands. There is,
however, mention of the existing graveyard and memorials and tombs within
the church, and how they are to be treated and preserved. It is also
decreed that the only burials in the new church shall be in vaults.

pp.259-302.

CONDITION NOTES: Minor wear, but otherwise clean and nice, with a tight
binding.

PRICE: $150~

SOME PICTURES =>

<http://www.joslinhall.com/images370/th-37176-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images370/th-37176-cover2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images370/th-37176-page1.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images370/th-37176-page2.jpg>

 - -

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our BLOG-
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

On TWITTER-
<https://twitter.com/joslinhall>

Our EMAIL LIST-

Our LATEST CATALOG-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_current.htm>

 ~ ~ ~

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.