[Rarebooks] FS: 1884 Electric Light at Home w/Real Photos

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Wed Aug 8 07:42:07 EDT 2012

TITLE: "The Electric Light in Our Homes"

By Robert Hammond.
Published in London by Frederick Warne and Co. in 1884.

DISCUSSION: A very early work on electrical illumination, notable for
being illustrated with 3 Woodburytype photographs showing a drawing room
and dining room illuminated with electric lights, which are among the
earliest such photographs to appear in any book. Light bulbs for home use
had only been introduced in Britain three years previously, so this effort
to popularize them was a groundbreaking work indeed. The text was based on
a series of popular lectures the author had given the prior year, and
touch on the disadvantages of all other forms of illumination and the
safety of electric lights, and explain in detail how electricity is
installed in the home and the types of bulbs that can be used. The line
illustrations include a wide variety of bulbs and some fixtures for home
use.

publisher’s advertisements, line illustrations, + 3 pasted-in photographs
(Woodburytypes). Publisher’s dark green cloth with black titles and gilt
decorations showing 4 different light bulbs and a fancy hanging lamp.

CONDITION NOTES: Covers with minor scuffing and soil, but generally clean
and bright. Ex-Institutional, with a stamp on title page, and small number
label at the base of the spine, but no other marks. The page mounts for
the photos and surrounding pages have some moderate spotting, but the
images are fine. The title page also has some brown offsetting from the
photographic frontispiece.

PRICE: $650~

SOME PICTURES =>

<http://www.joslinhall.com/images30/th-31298-cover.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images30/th-31298-cover2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images30/th-31298-page1.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images30/th-31298-page2.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images30/th-31298-page3.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images30/th-31298-page4.jpg>
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images30/th-31298-page5.jpg>

 - -

Our WEBSITE-
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

Our BLOG-
<http://foggygates.blogspot.com/>

On TWITTER-
<https://twitter.com/joslinhall>

Our EMAIL LIST-

Our LATEST CATALOG-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/Catalog_current.htm>

 ~ ~ ~

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for
the first book, and $2.00 for each additional book. Shipments outside the
U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within
ten days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.