[Rarebooks] FS:Dumas Celebrated Crimes 8 Vol., Lmt Ed./ Fieldings Novels

Michelle Levick bookmaven at comcast.net
Fri Feb 3 17:48:39 EST 2012

> For your Consideration:

> $135.00 PP Media Mail
Celebrated Crimes, Eight Volumes Illustrated with Photogravures. Philadelphia: George Barrie, Publisher, 1895. Limited Edition. Large Paper Japan Edition, Limited to Five Hundred Copies This Copy is No. 320.  Alexandre Dumas (1802-1870), French novelist.  Translated by J.G. Burnham.  Collection of  brutal European crimes compiled in eight volumes from 1839-41. Profusely illustrated with photogravures after "Original Drawings by De Los Rios, Prodhomme Wagrez, etc. Each volume has a frontispiece, all images tissue covered with title imprint. Volume I., Joanna of Naples, The Man In The Iron Mask, Martin Guerre, 6 photogravures; Volume II., The Borgias, 5 photogravures; Volume III., The Marquise De Granges, Karl Ludwig Sand, Urbain Grandier; 5 photogravures; Volume IV., Mary Stuart, 6 photogravures; Volume V., The Cenci, Murat, Derues, 7 photogravures; Volume VI., Ali-Pacha, La Comtesse De Saint-Geran, Nisida; Volume VII., La Marquise De Brinvilliers, Vaninka, La Constantin, 7 photogravures; Volume VIII., Massacres In The South, 5 photogravures. Volume IV does not state the No. 320 to the Limitation page. Text and photogravures very clean, books tightly bound.
Green buckram boards and spine, mild rubbing to extremities, tan, toned title panel to spine, red and green lettering. Titles clear, no chipping, Volume III two small damp stains above title. Nice looking set. Tall 8 vo. each approximately 300 pages,. (#6250)

$145.00 PP  Media Mail
 The Novels of Henry Fielding, 10 Volumes Fielding, Henry; Illustrated by George Cruikshank, Phiz; Hogarth. Boston: Large Paper Edition, Houghton Mifflin, . Title page, and half-title in red and black type. "This Edition printed from type at the Shakespeare Head Press Stratford-upon-Avon England is Limited to Five Hundred copies of which this is 160," (160 by hand) to copyright page.  1926.
 Illustrations by Hogarth, George Cruikshank, and Phiz (Hablot K. Browne), each protected by tissue guards. Frontispiece toeach volume. Titles: Tom Jones, Vol. I. Portrait of Henry Fielding, by Hogarth, engraved by Samuel Freeman. Biographical Notes, accompany Tom Jones, Amelia and Joseph Andrews. Deckle page ends, many uncut.  Jonathan Wild (c. 1683–1725)  a famous criminal of London, first lord of organized crime,  often the subject novelists, playwrights, and political satirists. Tom Jones 4 Volumes; Amelia 3 Volumes; Jonathan Wild, I Volume; Joseph Andrews, 2 Volumes. Henry Fielding (1707-1754), England, novelist playwright, satirist, magistrate. Tan paper boards over tan buckram spine, each with leather title panel, and gilt lettering. Mild soil to boards, sunning to board edges and spines. Extremities lightly rubbed. Very clean, all tightly bound. A very vice, scarce set. tall 8 vo's., each volume roughly 300 pages. (#5218)