[Rarebooks] fa: MONTESQUIEU - De l'Esprit des Lois 1781 - 4 vols. FINE in PERIOD BINDINGS

Ardwight Chamberlain ardchamber at earthlink.net
Fri Jun 1 10:20:18 EDT 2012

Listed now, auction ending MONDAY, June 4. More details and images can be found at the URL below or by searching under the seller name arch_in_la.

http://tinyurl.com/7lfjjmf

Thanks,
Ardwight Chamberlain
L.A.

[Charles Secondat, Baron de Montesquieu:] De l'Esprit des Lois. Nouvelle Édition, revue, corrigée & considérablement augmentée par l'Auteur. Amsterdam: [s.n.], MDCCLXXXI [1781]. Four volumes, small 8vo (17 cm), in full period mottled sheep, spines ornately decorated in gilt, with raised bands and gilt-stamped morocco spine labels, ribbon place-markers; Vol. I: clxv, [3], 430 pp.; Vol. II: xxiv, 362 pp.; Vol. III: xxiv, 440 pp.; Vol. IV: xii, 579, [1] pp.; with the half-titles and two folding engraved maps; woodcut decorations and initials.

A handsomely produced and beautifully preserved early edition of Montesquieu's great work, first printed in 1748, a foundational text in the history of laws and governance. His theory of "separation of powers" alone would revolutionize (literally) political thought for centuries to come. Volume I of this edition includes two fine, large folding maps by Robert de Vaugondy.

Bindings worn at several corners, else virtually as new, with just the slightest traces of wear and rubbing. Gutter of vol. I is cracked slightly between two page-gatherings where the large map of the world has been folded in; map shows a couple of spots and two tears archivally repaired on the verso (ca. 2 in. and 1 in. long), some creases from misfolding; the other map with a tiny closed tear in the margin; otherwise, apart from a very occasional small spot, the contents are fine indeed: exceedingly bright and crisp, firmly bound. Title-pages with the early/contemporary owner's signature of "Vedrines." A lovely set.