[Rarebooks] Large paper Copy

Garry R Austin mail at austinsbooks.com
Thu May 10 17:34:10 EDT 2012

We offer the following, postpaid to our colleagues,

Bachelder, John B. DESCRIPTIVE KEY TO THE PAINTING OF THE REPULSE OF LONGSTREET'S ASSAULT AT THE BATTLE OF GETTYSBURG. New York: Published by the author, 1870. First edition. Quarto, floral decoration, pebbled green beveled cloth boards, gilt. All edges gilt. Canary endpapers. Title page printed in red and black, with a small circular engraving at center. 94pp. (i) ad leaf. Illustrated. Fourteen steel-engraved portraits, including frontispiece with tissue guards and two engraved vignettes. Facsimile document from Major General George Meade certifying the accuracy of Bachelder's illustration of the battlefield bound in.  Fold-out "Isometrical" drawing of the Gettysburg battlefield rendered by the author bound in back. There is a repair of a closed tear at the fold of a panel with document repair tape. This is the very uncommon large paper copy. The trade edition is an octavo, in black cloth and significantly thinner. I was able to trace a similar Lp. copy in brown cloth that sold at Heritage Auctions in 2008. This copy is very good or better. There are minor abrasions at the corners. The gilt is bright. The copy tight. There are no marks of previous ownership.
Key to the Painting of Longstreet's Assault at the Battle of Gettysburg. (July 3, 1863) Historically Arranged by John B. Bachelder, and Painted by James Walker. Embracing a Brief Outline of the Battle, Showing Relative Positions of the Contending Forces, and Explaining the Points of Local and Military Interest Delineated by the Artist. With Appendix. Containing Private Letters and Official Reports From Both Armies, Showing the Authorities for the Painting; With a Complete Index of the Officers and Troops Mentioned.
We offer this net to all at $500.00

Garry R Austin
mail at austinsbooks.com
Austin's Antiquarian Books