[Rarebooks] FS: SIGNED Rutherford B. Hayes Remarks at the Celebration of General Garfield's Election, 1880

Charles Agvent chagvent at ptd.net
Thu May 10 20:55:45 EDT 2012

One of several signed Presidential books in our new catalog just posted
on our home page--SPRING MISCELLANY 2012 catalog with 70 select books
and autographs, all new arrivals:
http://www.charlesagvent.com/shop/agvent/catalogues.html?id=J5Y9M2kL&mv_pc=1881

HAYES, Rutherford B. REMARKS OF PRESIDENT HAYES, AT THE CELEBRATION OF
GENERAL GARFIELD'S ELECTION, CLEVELAND, OHIO, NOVEMBER 4, 1880. n.p.,
[1880]. First Edition. Printed wraps; 4 pages, the last blank. SIGNED on
the top margin of the front page "With Compliments/R. B. Hayes" by the
President. Prints Hayes's speech celebrating the election of James
Garfield to succeed him as President. "You all remember how four years
ago the business of the country for weeks and months was interrupted and
almost suspended by the doubts in regard to the result of the election.
Possibly the weakest point in our system is that our Constitution does
not adequately provide for the ascertainment and determination of the
result of a Presidential election when it is close and doubtful and
disputed...." Don't we know it. Slightly sunned at the top edge,
otherwise Fine.

A prefatory paragraph explains that "Immediately after the demonstration
in the Public Square had come to a close, the torchlight companies and
hundreds of citizens marched to the Kennard House and tendered a
serenade to President Hayes. Bank Street filled with people and music.
At 11.15 o'clock several prominent Republicans appeared on the balcony
accompanied by the President..." Hayes then went on to sing the praises
of his successor, whom he describes as: "A man of broad, liberal, and
generous views, he will look over this whole country. Every section of
it will be fairly and justly dealt with. He will say to the mistaken men
of the South, 'You are to be treated precisely as the citizens of my own
State are to be treated. [Applause.] All that we ask of you is that you
shall faithfully obey the Constitution....'" (#016434)        $3,000.00

See an image here:

http://home.ptd.net/~chagvent/016434.jpg
--
All books subject to prior sale. Cash with order; institutions may be
billed. Postage additional: $10.00 for the first item; $5.00 for each
thereafter. Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania
residents must add 6% sales tax. Mastercard, Visa, American Express, and
Discover accepted. Books may be returned within 10 days of receipt for
any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior
notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value. We carry a
diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century
Literary First Editions, Signed Books, Presidential Autographs,
Illustrated Books, and the world's largest inventory of Limited Editions
Club books. *We have been in business since 1987 and are proud to be
members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and
the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB).* Please feel
free to contact us with any wants or offerings. Thank you. CHARLES
AGVENT 291 Linden Road Mertztown, PA 19539-8750 610-682-4750
info at charlesagvent.com Please visit our shop: http://www.charlesagvent.com